Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Advice on Fat Loss while Maintaining Strength (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4756)

Justin Keane 10-19-2009 07:56 AM

Advice on Fat Loss while Maintaining Strength
 
Just a tiny bit of background: doing some strength work now, linear progression based loosely around SS. 4 training days/wk, short heavy metcons on 3 of those days.

I'd like to drop about 10 lbs if possible while maintaining or increasing strength levels. (Recognizing this may be something of a golden goose) Less for vanity's than practicality's sake...I'd like to hit a powerlifting meet at some point in the near future and I feel like I'd do better at a lower weight class rather than adding weight.

So, checking out various spots it seems like a good macronutrient approach would incorporate a g/lb protein protocol, low carb, moderate fat. Should I be looking at a caloric deficit on recovery days or will that derail strength maintenance?

I'll hang up and listen.

Steven Low 10-19-2009 10:11 AM

As long as you lift heavy you can go slight caloric deficit on all days.

High pro, high fat, low carb is the way to go.

Derek Weaver 10-19-2009 10:28 PM

A couple of key points: Volume is not the way to go. Intensity is. Keep things heavy and don't get too wrapped up in metabolic packages.

NEPA is key when trying to drop weight/fat but not laying waste to the muscle you've earned.

I'm in a moderately different camp in that I'd advise high protein, moderate fat, moderate carbs. Not quite Zone, but something that may resemble 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 of each macro give or take a few grams or %'s along the way.

Dave Van Skike 10-22-2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Weaver (Post 64214)
A couple of key points: Volume is not the way to go. Intensity is. Keep things heavy and don't get too wrapped up in metabolic packages.

NEPA is key when trying to drop weight/fat but not laying waste to the muscle you've earned.

I'm in a moderately different camp in that I'd advise high protein, moderate fat, moderate carbs. Not quite Zone, but something that may resemble 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 of each macro give or take a few grams or %'s along the way.

this works. did it recently to drop a weight class. low volume. SS volumes may be a bit high but whatever, stay frosty, even if that means you get in for 3 sets of squats and no accessory work. yes carbs, ditch the metcons, take long walks or light running if you have to. expect to take a step back for a couple weeks or more and you'll get there, Justin.

Miranda Sierra 11-05-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Van Skike (Post 64353)
this works. did it recently to drop a weight class. low volume. SS volumes may be a bit high but whatever, stay frosty, even if that means you get in for 3 sets of squats and no accessory work. yes carbs, ditch the metcons, take long walks or light running if you have to. expect to take a step back for a couple weeks or more and you'll get there, Justin.

Really? That's great news, anymore tips you can share

Dave Van Skike 11-05-2009 08:21 PM

sure.

fitday.com.... counting calories works.

Bill Ennis 11-06-2009 06:06 AM

Hi Everyone ;
I'm attempting to do the same thing as Justin . Two questions:
1. Derek ( or anyone ) what is NEPA ?
2. This may be a dumb question if I'm trying to lose some weight/fat - would the Mass (A)gain program or start a Strength Cycle ( e.g. 12/15/08 CA WOD ) be the way to maintain/increase strength while losing fat ?
Thanks.
Bill

Allen Yeh 11-06-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ennis (Post 64956)
Hi Everyone ;
I'm attempting to do the same thing as Justin . Two questions:
1. Derek ( or anyone ) what is NEPA ?
2. This may be a dumb question if I'm trying to lose some weight/fat - would the Mass (A)gain program or start a Strength Cycle ( e.g. 12/15/08 CA WOD ) be the way to maintain/increase strength while losing fat ?
Thanks.
Bill

According to Chris Shugart here is his definition of NEPA

Quote:

The NEPA Walk


It's as simple as this: Go for a walk every day.

The idea here is to drain off a few calories to speed the fat loss process without impairing recovery and without taking any energy away from the weight training workouts. A good walk will actually speed up the recovery process.

The key here is to make the decision to walk everyday, rain or shine, busy or not.

Guidelines

1. The average person walks between 3 and 3.5 MPH. (Men walk about .5 miles per hour faster than women.) For your NEPA walk, shoot for around 4 MPH. If you're walking outside and not on a treadmill that shows you the speed, simply aim to walk faster than your normal pace. This isn't "speed walking," just walking faster than normal.

2. You can choose to walk for a certain distance or for a certain amount of time. Depending on your fitness level and the time you have, you can shoot for 30 to 60 minutes of fast walking or two to four miles. At 4 MPH, you can walk one mile in 15 minutes.

3. You may walk outside or inside on a treadmill. Walking on a treadmill actually burns a few less calories than walking outside, but this isn't a big deal. Simply incline the treadmill slightly and the calorie-burning will be increased as the posterior chain muscles are called into play.

4. While you can take your walk any time of the day -- morning, at lunch, or in the evening -- many experts believe that walking in the morning before you eat leads to faster fat loss. While I'd never suggest performing strenuous cardio in this fasted state (which could lead to muscle loss), a brisk walk is fine. Still, it's no big deal: get your walk in whenever you can, just never miss a day!

Warning: You will not "make the diet faster" by going for long runs, doing sprints, or taking hour-long aerobics classes. You will impede recovery, have less energy, and possibly cause your body to catabolize (eat up) lean muscle tissue, which will in turn wreck your metabolism.

Remember, the diet itself does most of the fat burning here and the weight training builds and/or helps you retain the metabolism-boosting muscle. Traditional cardio and aerobics just aren't necessary while on the V-Diet, and may even be counterproductive.

Dave Van Skike 11-06-2009 08:21 AM

nvrmnd. allen got it.

Jon Sikes 11-06-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Ennis (Post 64956)
Hi Everyone ;
I'm attempting to do the same thing as Justin . Two questions:
1. Derek ( or anyone ) what is NEPA ?
2. This may be a dumb question if I'm trying to lose some weight/fat - would the Mass (A)gain program or start a Strength Cycle ( e.g. 12/15/08 CA WOD ) be the way to maintain/increase strength while losing fat ?
Thanks.
Bill

Re: 2, I wouldn't combine a program designed for gaining mass with losing fat. It stands to reason that such a program assumes good recovery due to a calorie surplus.

Something more PTTP-ish would be good. One or two lifts a day, start at a low percentage and build up slowly. Something like presses and front squats every workout isn't a bad combination.

Don't do too much. Any progress is good progress while dieting.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.