Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   James' tale: 2009 til.... (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4800)

james forshaw 11-01-2009 12:23 PM

James' tale: 2009 til....

I think I've started about 6 logs in various places, not to mention several that I've written on paper. There is a lot to be said for just keeping one log no matter how many changes of heart you may have - definitely makes tracking back to find old PRs easier. This place allows for editing of old posts unlike the CF messageboard, so here it is, my one and only definitive workout diary.

james forshaw 11-01-2009 12:37 PM

For the past month I pretty much just did my own strength-CF hybrid using metcons of my own making (most involving heavy cleans). Nutrition was good for about 60% of it, and I managed to set records in the front squat (130kg) and the clean and jerk (100kg).

A university requirement recently was to write a 3-5000 word essay on any subject and I chose the paleo diet, with a brief mention of IF. Since I haven't implemented IF for a long while, and taking inspiration from the research papers, I have decided to embark on a 6-week long period of strict paleo, sporadic fasting and (I hope) fat loss.

No shaky meat choices i.e. no sausage. I'm limiting fruit to 2 blocks a day. Aside from that, if it isn't unprocessed animal protein, eggs, vegetables, nuts or seeds, then it can't be eaten. Food intake will be limited only by hunger i.e. eating til satiety. By doing this, I hope to lose fat whilst maintaining performance at the very least, or improving on it.

Programme:

M - Optional (can rest, sprint or metcon)
T - Rest
W - Football + Metcon
T - Strength A/B + Metcon
F - Rest
S - Sprinting
S - Strength B/A

Strength A – Deadlift + Dips/Push Press
Strength B – Front/Back Squat

Thursday’s metcon should reflect strength session – if squatting, metcon could involve cleans. If deadlifts, then thrusters say.
If fresh on Monday, can switch Wednesday’s metcon to then.

Daniel Mays 11-01-2009 03:41 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGUrY0VtGYs

Good Luck

james forshaw 11-02-2009 08:42 AM

A weird one today. Weird in that I chose Grace because I thought I was a shoe-in to smash my record because on Saturday I did max reps CJ @ 75kg in 3 mins and scored 18.

"Grace"

Time: 4 mins 10 (21s slower than PB)

I can only assume that my traps, forearms and quads are still shot from two days ago. Or that I've only eaten one meal with about 5g of carbs today. I got 9 in a row at 75kg but only 10 at Grace weight. Not complaining though, I'm totally smashed up - which is the whole idea.

james forshaw 11-03-2009 04:44 AM

Rest Day

*18 hour fast - SE (stopped eating): 12.30pm

james forshaw 11-04-2009 12:42 PM

*18.5 hour fast
Last meal @ 9.30pm

Hard going with this 2 blocks of fruit rule. Still getting used to it, and should seriously start upping the fat.

Metcon
10-8-6-4-2 reps of couplet:
70kg Cleans
L-Pullups

Time: 7 mins 48

Slow time, probably due to them both being pulling exercises. Did 135lb thrusters a couple of weeks ago with L-pullups (same number of reps just slightly differently) and got well under 5 minutes so it clearly makes a difference.

james forshaw 11-05-2009 02:29 PM

*15.5 hour fast
LM @ 8pm

ME
Front Squat 6-4-3-1-1-1
(CF football occasionally use this rep scheme, and I really like it)
6 x 90kg
4 x 100kg
3 x 110kg
1 x 120kg
1 x 130kg
1 x 132.5kg *New PR

Did this workout late at night after only two meals and only two blocks of carbs total (1 fruit, 1 veg). The PR was a close call but totally legal - seemed to be squeezing mid rep with no movement for an eternity.

Tried out my new rings (thanks to Matt G) going for an unbroken 21 dips and just about got them. Ring dips are so different than on the bars; they seem to spread the love all over your upper body, not just your triceps!

james forshaw 11-07-2009 03:15 AM

Yesterday (Friday)

Rest day
*38.5 hour fast

james forshaw 11-07-2009 03:16 AM

Broke fast this morning at 10:30. To be honest, it wasn't difficult really. Tipped the scales at 168lbs before I ate, which is 10lbs less than last week. Most was probably water and food but thats a lot of weight in just over 5 days.

Metcon
Too wet and a considerable cramp in my left calf - must have slept on it - so instead of going to the track, just did a CF-style metcon.

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Ring Dips
Pull-ups
24kg Dumbbell Swings

Time: 10 mins 07

Not a disappointing time. Ring dips are tough! All unbroken though.

Just have to say, homemade chicken and vegetable soup must be the perfect food for health. A heap of chicken thighs, and a load of cabbage, leeks, onions, carrots and celery and a chicken stock cube in the pressure cooker. Low carb, quality protein, stacked with vitamins and fibre, warming and SO tasty.

james forshaw 11-08-2009 06:25 AM

Strength

Warmed up with CJ - worked up to 100kg x 1

Back Squat (High-bar)
Worked up to:
150kg x 1

Deadlift
Dynamic Effort
90kg x 2 on the minute for 8 mins (hook grip)

Rack Pulls
Worked up to 210kg x 3