Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Paleo Diet (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Paleo Fat Loss (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4868)

Eric Deangelis 11-30-2009 02:55 PM

Paleo Fat Loss

First off, I have been reading for a few months and this is my first post - this is the best place for fitness I have come across.

opI am 6 foot male, 25, 185 and I do Grant's Hybrid Crossfit Strength twice a week, 3 times a week 2 hour BBJ, and 1 time a week 2 hour MMA and easy yoga on off day. I am around 9 or 10% BF now, I can see abs, but I would liek to know how to drop a few pounds of Body fat to get a more defined six pack. It is pure vanity, I want to see what it feels like and then I will probably resume my current way of eating. Diet looks like this on average:

(Today)

6:30AM
5 full eggs
half cup natural frozen strawberries
small handful of Walnuts
cooked in Olive Oil (all mixed together- really freaking good)
2 cups black coffee
est: 650- 700 cal

11:30
Huge bowl Spinach (4 cups?)
cherry tomatoes
sliced bella mushrooms
sliced cucumber (5 or 6 slices)
Chicken Breast
Olive Oil Dressing

Mix of Almonds, cashews, and macadamia nuts

Small Apple

est: 600 or 700 cal

1:00 pm
Green or Black Tea

5:00
2 pieces of Tilapia
Eggplant cooked with Onion (olive oil spray)
2 cups broccoli
few almonds for fat

est: 500

BBJ 6- 8:15

8:30
7 or 8 oz of chop steak trimmed on visable fat. (usually have 2 chicken breasts with salsa!)
est: 300

I have been eating paleo for awhile now and really enjoy it. Also I have tryed Zone for a few months and I liked it, BUT I was always hungry and I was going nuts measuring food and counting nuts- so now I refuse to WAM although I always try to eat protien/fat/carb to dent insulin. I usually do a 16- 19 hour IF 2 times a week as well. On those days my caloric intake is probably about 300- 400 less. So it looks like im averaging 2300 calories. This is a LONG term diet, its how I eat. Id like to drop to high 170s and 7ish% BF. Current lift: DL 315, BS 300, Bench 265, Shoulder Press 160. I posted somehting like this on the CF forum as well with no real good replies.

So how can I loose those last, few pounds?

Thanks in advance

Arien Malec 11-30-2009 03:14 PM

At 6", I think 175-180# is far too low and that you need to start eating more, but that's just me. I understand vanity, and to hit the goals you are looking for, I'd follow one of Lyle McDonald's diets (UD 2.0 or RFL as a Cat 1).

Mike ODonnell 11-30-2009 03:20 PM

Fat gets more stubborn as you get lower, but no reason to think you can't get rid of it.

You look pretty active enough with the BJJ and other stuff. You could try dropping calories by 300-400 on the BJJ days (or say take out the fruit or nuts for those days). Using lower calorie/carb days on your more lower intensity duration activities (compared to higher intensity lifting days) can help. That is just something simple to experiment for 1-2 weeks and see how your body responds. You could also play with smaller eating windows (and lower calories) on those days with IF and work in some simple carb cycling too.

There is more than one way to drop the fat, but find something that is already close to your lifestyle and that you enjoy, and then the results become more permanent.

Also add fish oil, it will help calm down any possible inflammation issues (from exercise, work, stress, life, foods, etc) and that will help to lose additional fat as well. An environment that is high in "silent" inflammation (aka you don't feel it) will not be ideal for fat loss and may even lead to fat gain with increased stress hormones such as cortisol. Hence why some endurance athletes may have more issues with stubborn fat no matter how much they train and how little they eat.

Eric Deangelis 12-14-2009 07:47 PM

I was thinking of tyring this eating scheme out...

http://robbwolf.com/?p=782

First off, I have mad respect for Robb Wolf and nothing I have followed of his has ever really betrayed me so...

Basically you eat three times a day, lower carb, 100% paleo...so not so far off from what I was doing earlier.

Today was:

6:30 am
3 whole eggs
chicken breast

blended shake of: 100% organic cold milled hemp seed
100% cocoa powder and cinn. for flavor in water
10 almonds

est 600- 650 cal

11:30
butterfly lean pork chop (.85 pound)

Huge side salad of spinach with some cheery tomato and mushrooms with olive oil dressing.

15 almonds, and some wlanuts and pinch of cashews

est 700 cal

5:00pm
1 pound flank, local grown steak trimmed of fat
1 yellow bell pepper

3 celery stalks with 100% organic sun butter (est 2 TBS)

est 700 cal

What do you guys think? There is no real pre or post meal eating. But on days I Lift, 3 days a week, I will end up eating dinner about 45 min after lifting so that counts, and on days I roll BJJ its a sort of mini IF because I eat an early dinner at 4 and dont eat again untill 6:30 or 7- so like an 15ish hour fast. It is def low carb, and I didnt count but seems to be under 50 to me. On lifting days I may eat some berries at breakfast and some more veggies at dinner.