Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   equipment question (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4927)

Jay Ashman 12-16-2009 05:57 AM

equipment question

although I know exactly what equipment I want to get to outfit myself, I am looking for a good deal for the basics. I looked on craigslist and its a pain in the ass to outfit a small facility that way; so....

out of the two companies that are well-known, which one do you think is a better deal for what I need? Rogue or Again Faster.

Keep in mind I am not just looking for CrossFit stuff. I also do sports training for FB and baseball players and I plan on getting USAW Club Coach Certified in the future so I can teach basic oly lifts (I am in no means an expert, but if I am going to teach those lifts I want to be able to ensure I am decent at instructing them).

Any advice as to where to get the basics from would be appreciated.

I live a few miles from NY Barbell on Long Island but I can't trust their equipment for heavy usage.

Garrett Smith 12-16-2009 07:18 AM

Have you looked to Muscledriver.com and becoming an affiliate of them to get some $$ back?

Jon Gilson does great customer service, but him and Rogue are a bit too heavy on the Kool-Aid support for my business.

You'd likely get a lot more feedback on this at the CF board...

Gant Grimes 12-16-2009 07:18 AM

Muscledriver.

Edit: Ha! Beat me to it.

Jay Ashman 12-16-2009 09:44 AM

I'm looking for feedback here, I know what the CF board will say but since a lot of you guys use other avenues for equipment I was curious as to what you felt was the best deal for what I need.

Garrett Smith 12-16-2009 11:49 AM

Muscledriver

...did we say Muscledriver??? :-)

Jay Ashman 12-16-2009 03:54 PM

haha, thanks Garrett, I may have missed that :D

Arden Cogar Jr. 01-09-2010 05:48 AM

Jay,
Are you outfitting a home gym or an affiliate?

The above is spot on. The best I've found for bumper prices is Rubberman. They run some cheap sales every so often. I've since upgarded to Werksan - which would be like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo (Werksan to Kraiburg), but that's because i've fallen in love with OL.

On Bars - go Pendlay's HDs. They are not quaranteed for life, but they are meant to be dropped. I'm not so sure about the other stuff I've seen out there.

On kettlebells - definitely Muscle Driver. Best prices you can find on decent bells.

Stall Mats - Tractor Supply.

I could go on and on. I've got everything I need now in my home gym, but I do want to get a few more Werksan Training Plates - 10s and 15s. Once I can snatch comfortably snatch all the Reds I have (4 of them - 120), then i'll stop pussy footing around with all the little plates. But until then, I'm a pussy and I like looking at a bar with 4 or 5 plates on it. :D

All the best,
Arden

Matt Matijevich 01-09-2010 07:56 AM

American Kettle Bell Club has a sale on bells. Although I have been waiting for over a month now to receive one that I ordered.

link

Jay Ashman 01-09-2010 08:32 AM

Arden, not a box or a home gym... just stuff to add to the gym where I train at. Some of the strongmen and I are pooling money to get some bumpers, bars and a couple other things so I was curious as to the best place/deals for my money.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Clay Jones 01-21-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Ashman (Post 67135)
I live a few miles from NY Barbell on Long Island but I can't trust their equipment for heavy usage.

Their squat stands are pretty OK, I'm pretty sure Bugener uses them. Mine have held up well, but then I'm a facility of one.