Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Imagine this: Underwater rowing (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4958)

Jonathan Silverman 12-25-2009 08:11 PM

Imagine this: Underwater rowing

You know how they have water jogging... how bout an underwater c2 rowing machine? i wonder what kinda traininmg benefits we will see..

George Mounce 12-25-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Silverman (Post 67905)
You know how they have water jogging... how bout an underwater c2 rowing machine? i wonder what kinda traininmg benefits we will see..

None, as the point of rowing is to move the boat on top of the water.

Water jogging is lame, people need to learn to swim.

Chris H Laing 12-26-2009 10:07 AM

You can do some cool stuff with kettlebells underwater though.

Steven Low 12-26-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Mounce (Post 67907)
None, as the point of rowing is to move the boat on top of the water.

Water jogging is lame, people need to learn to swim.

Water jogging is for people with injuries who can't weight bear on land as well and need to workout. Er, and I've seen some good water metabolic workouts if you go full steam as well but yeah.

Garrett Smith 12-26-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Silverman (Post 67905)

What kind of workouts can trolls get underwater?

Jonathan Silverman 12-26-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 67931)
What kind of workouts can trolls get underwater?

What the hell Garret? I am not a troll. I belong to Crossfit Virtuosity in NYC, I have a 154 posts on the crossfit messageboard. i basically re-discovered the catalysts athletic board as i was hungrily searching for more information on the rob wolf and everett debacle. I just bought greg everetts book and am underlining stuff. I also am a little creative and wanted to post my ideas. Look from this thread i just learned of kb swinging underwater. and water jogging which was my premise is actually in the domain of physical therapy.

I expressed my dissapointment and the wolf scandal at the crossfit board and my posts got scrubbed. I go over here and you call me a troll. like what the hell...

Garret you're comments are completely uncalled for. it;s funny like you got a lotta degrees in your signature but no manners.

Garrett Smith 12-26-2009 08:07 PM

OK Jonathan, you go ahead and be creative. Let us know how the underwater rowing works out for you.

Really...if you're completely serious, then I'm serious too.

Jonathan Silverman 12-26-2009 08:23 PM

It may not make sense to ruin a C2 rower machine, but I bet it makes sense to row in a real boat without it moving, and then have transfer benefit to c2 rowing.. what do you think?

and what do you think of underwater KB training? that's easy to do, you just take a KB to the beach...

George Mounce 12-26-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Silverman (Post 67967)
It may not make sense to ruin a C2 rower machine, but I bet it makes sense to row in a real boat without it moving, and then have transfer benefit to c2 rowing.. what do you think?

and what do you think of underwater KB training? that's easy to do, you just take a KB to the beach...

You also remove the whole point of doing the training...

The only thing you should be doing underwater is:

Holding your breath.
Scuba diving.
Attacking via amphibious assault.
Swimming/diving for fun or competition.
Taking a bath.

I agree Steven, but that falls under swimming. Tell me how running in a pool translates well to anything on land? It doesn't, and If you don't need to be bearing your weight on land, YOU SHOULDN'T BE WORKING OUT. :rolleyes:

I read crap like this, http://askcoachjenny.runnersworld.co...trails--1.html and I go wow, these people are idiots. Injury is there for a reason. It's your body and life's way of telling you that 1 - your form and technique sucks, and 2 - completely rest, heal completely, and spend that time learning how to do things correctly, then apply them once healed.

Sorry I don't buy the benefit of it.

Garrett Smith 12-27-2009 06:10 AM

George,
"Aqua jogging" works well to help injured runners maintain their fitness while not continuing to aggravate running-related injuries. No one is making claims (at least here) of anything other than that.

It worked for me. What you're saying is true about learning to do things correctly, like fixing running form a la POSE or Chi running or Pirie or whatever you like. I didn't know about these 10 years ago when I had trochanteric bursitis--all I knew was I had a triathlon coming up and I really sucked at distance running (yeah, I consider a 5k distance running).

There is benefit to it. You might not agree with the approach. Complete rest is an approach I don't always completely agree with--increasing bloodflow to an injured area is a good thing--if pain can be avoided while healing and maintaining fitness, why not?

I got my trochanteric bursitis from switching directions on a track mid-workout (silly me, trying to balance out the turns)...it wasn't necessarily because my form and technique sucked. Talked to my triathlon coach about what happened, learned my lesson not to do that again. So, after I learned my lesson, you're suggesting your approach to my problem would have been to completely rest (this took several months to completely go away) and lose the fitness I had gained previously? In my situation, I personally would not have gone for your advice.

Jonathan, your idea of a stationary boat while rowing the water sounds like a great way to splash around, but if it actually worked, I think rowers would have already figured it out.