Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   RyanS' Training Log (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4963)

Ryan Secor 12-28-2009 02:38 PM

RyanS' Training Log

So I've never done a training log on a forum, but after lurking for a while on the forums here I think it would really be beneficial for me to start doing so on here for a couple reasons. First - I know I'd really benefit from other rather knowledgeable people I've seen on these forums - so feel free to chime in or PM me with any advice/feedback/etc. Second - I always lose my training data when I try to keep hardcopies (or it ends up making a mess in the house), so it'll be much easier for me to just something like this online. We'll see how it goes.

I know it might be a weird place for me to log workouts since I have more of a powerlifting background and powerlifting tends to currently interest me more than OLY lifting, but as I previously mentioned I think I'd benefit from many I've seen on this forum.

In the following initial posts I'm going to list my current training history, training strategy, goals, personal stats, etc. I will periodically update them to reflect my current stats, PRs and goals.

Ryan Secor 12-28-2009 04:04 PM

Training History

I started working out at 15 when I got Arnold Schwarznegger's Encyclopedia for Bodybuilding and my grandparents bought me a gym membership. It was probably an act of charity more than anything since at the time I was about 5'11" and no more than 130 lbs - you could literally count each of my ribs and my arms were about the size of my wrists. I fell in love with the gym, being strong and followed some variation of a bodybuilding/powerlifting protocol sometimes with some BUD/S prep stuff sprinkled in there for most of my training (from sources like Arnold's book, Milk and Squats, Max-OT, T-Nation, etc). It paid off and by the time I found Crossfit (about 6 years later), I was a strong (but slow) 240+ lbs.

After I graduated college (2006), I found a job requiring me to be in better cardiovascular condition (and really couldn't in my current physical state) I started looking for something that might help me. I stumbled across CF and started doing it regularly.

In April 2008 I broke hand, had two surgeries to fix it. Then in September 2008 I broke my ankle, didn't realize it, and just had surgery in August 2009 to fix it. So the last 18 months has been particularly difficult for me training-wise. I've only been 100% healthy for training a few of those months, but have still managed to maintain my strength (no real increases in maximal strength since I started CF), became fairly capable in most movements and hit a 3:02 Fran among other things.

My most recent surgery has messed with my mind and body probably more than anything. I mean I've had three surgeries in the last 18 months and I honestly just stopped training for the last 5 months because of my ankle. The benefit of it is that I've spent a lot of time learning more about training and nutrition and stuff.. but I'm just now trying to get back into shape and help my ankle heal fully. I've put on a good 25# of fat, virtually lost all metabolic conditioning, but my strength is still decent (my squat and deadlift are obviously lacking due to ankle stability/strength issues). I'm starting to get back into it now that my PT has ordered me to start doing stuff like this on my own.

That's my short version of my training history leading up to today...

Ryan Secor 12-28-2009 04:49 PM

Personal Stats, Training Goals, and PR's

Stats as of 12/28/2009
Ht: 6'2" (rounded up)
Wt: 230#
BF %: 17% (based on 7-site skinfold) - the highest I've ever been

Current Training/Physical Goals:
#1 - 1500# Powerlifting Total by 2011 (posted 12-28-09)
I think the most realistic way for my to accomplish is by having a:
600# Deadlift
500# Back Squat
400# Bench Press
All these seem pretty similar given my current and past levels of strength.

#2 - Rehab ankle & bring metabolic conditioning up to a level that I can work successfully and safely - I know this is terribly abstract - basically I need to be able to physically run and physically exert myself at fullest capabilities for around the 10 minutes. I'm currently not working at full duty capacities and would like to ASAP.... and be able to adequately myself and others (posted 12-28-09)

#3 - Keep weight in/above the 220-225# @ no more than 10% bodyfat (posted 12-28-09)

#4 - Stay injury free! I'm done being hurt.

Personal Records
I will edit/update various benchmarks I find beneficial - once I start working out a little more frequently I'll try to make everything updated so that all PR's are a little more current

Powerlifting Total - 1230# (01-02-10)
Back Squat - 395# (11-18-08)
Deadlift - 605# (04-28-10)
Bench Press - 315# (12-28-09)
Press - 175# (01-01-10)
Helen - 8:23 (11-29-08)
Fran - 3:02 (11-13-08)

Ryan Secor 12-28-2009 05:40 PM

Current Training Strategy

I may go into this further later on down the road, but right now my strategy is as follows:

- Lift Heavy and progress as long as possible
- Do some sort metabolic conditioning (preferably short and heavy - I don't see any need to train beyond 10-20 minute domain for what I do)
- Recover (eat, sleep, and rest)

My training will reflect this. Call it whatever you like, but I just call it working it and training smart. I'd say my training strategy is quite similar to Catalyst's (except powerlifting instead of Oly-lifting), Coach Rut's, CFFB, etc.

Ryan Secor 12-28-2009 06:33 PM

Monday 12-28-09

1 RM Bench Press - 315#

-then-

"Heavy Helen"
3 rounds:
Run 400 meters
21 KB Swings (2 pood)
12 Pullups

For time - 12:37

My PT wanted me to start trying to incorporate running in workouts again and start focusing on getting my ankle strong enough to work at full capacity. I really sucked at the running on this and my lungs (i.e. metabolic conditioning) are terrible right now.

Ryan Secor 12-29-2009 02:54 PM

Tuesday 12.29.09

Row 250m
Foam Roll
1441 Static Mobility Complex
Extra ankle/knee mobility work (rehabbing ankle and my knees have always been bad)

-then-

1 RM Back Squat - 385#

-then-

"Power Elizabeth"
21-15-9
Power Clean (135#)
Ring Dips

For time - 11:24

I'm a little embarrassed about my back squat, but I think I'm starting at the perfect point to hit 500# by the end of 2010 assuming I can sustain small gains for this year (shouldn't be an issue hopefully). I've been re-reading Starting Strength and a lot of Rip stuff to help me refine my form. My two biggest problems are changing the angle of my torso in the hole of my squat and jettisoning my knees forward as I'm coming out of the hole (I can pretty well tell when I do that because it kills my knees!). Don't know why I chose Power Elizabeth - I was wanting to do 1.5 mile timed run, but I don't think my ankle can handle all that pounding yet... I just felt like doing something with ring dips and the 135# PC is decently light for me.

Ryan Secor 12-30-2009 01:54 PM

Wednesday 12.30.09

Physical Therapy
Ankle Mobility/Stretching, some circuit stuff, and ran/jogged on treadmill (I HATE RUNNING ON A TREADMILL - it's so much harder for me to run on a treadmill vs on the street for some reason!)

Today is pretty much a rest day for me, just went to physical therapy down at CATZ in Pasadena. I'll give them a quick plug - if anyone lives in the area in need of a good PT I suggest checking them out - they have a pretty good track record of professional athletes they rehab (many of the Dodgers, Oscar de le Hoya, Galaxy, etc) plus they serve as the USC PT research center (USC is one of the two best PT schools in the area). I'm not particularly impressed by their conditioning program there, but I'd specifically suggest a PT named Chris (don't know the last name) down there that really knows his stuff and isn't going to have you doing silly crap. He is a Crossfitter and L1 certified... BUT he's really smart and a pretty decent athlete/coach (it's amazing how knowing physiology/biomechanics helps) - I've gotten some great advice and help from him and would highly recommended him to anyone needing a PT.

On another note, I read Lights Out (GREAT BOOK!) and I've been working on waking up at the same time every day. I've also been trying to get more sleep, but I simply can't sleep 9-10 hours a day --- for some reason I'll lay awake for literally 3-4 hours (have done that for several nights now). I'm also working on my eating. Most of my problem is that I simply don't eat frequently enough --- I'm trying to eat something right now every 2-3 hours. I'm trying to stick pretty close to a lower-carb paleo-diet (probably in the neighborhood of 40% Pro, 40% Fat, and 20% CHO), but I will drink a couple cups of milk PWO. Eventually I may start documenting my food, but right now I'm not particularly in taking the time to do that.

Ryan Secor 12-31-2009 07:05 PM

Thursday 12.31.09

Warm-Up (Rowing, Foam Rolling, Mobility Work, Weight Acclimation)

-then-

"Valeria" (created by T-Nation er T-Muscle)
21 Bench Press (275#)
21 Deadlift (405#)
21 Weighted Pullups (+50# - did 1.5 pood KB)
21 Barbell Curls (135#)

For time
- 43:42... YIKES!! (Bench Press took about 30 mins of that)

So the guy that created this workout did it in like 12:00, and I thought I may be able to do it in like 20ish at the Elite Weights (check out the article for the weight breakdown). To be honest my bench just sucked on this workout. My max is right at 315# and I had to break up these reps into few sets of 2 or 3 reps and finally 1 rep at a time for like the last 9. It took me forever to get through that! The watch was literally at like 30:00 when I started my deadlifts. The pullups and deadlifts were decently easy for me - I knocked out my deadlifts in 2 easy sets of 8 (mixed grip) and 1 set of 5 (overhand grip). Pullups were pretty easy for me too. I honestly haven't done barbell curls for 4ish years now (since I started doing CF) and the 135# was surprisingly hard (I guess my functional strength didn't transfer so well) and my curls were more cheat curls than anything. If I had bumped my weights down from the elite level to very good I'd probably have been under 20 on this, but I enjoy lifting heavy and I'm proud I did it at elite as rx'd. Interesting workout though - pretty fun and definitely a pathetic display in performance on my part.

Now off to enjoy New Year Eve!

Ryan Secor 01-01-2010 06:27 PM

Friday 01.01.10

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY!! My public training New Years Resolutions are up in my 3rd post - I'll probably be updating them sometime, but this year I just want to keep things real simple.

Row, Foam Rolling, Light Mobility Work
-then-
1 RM Overhead Press - 175# (PR)
-then-
Maximum Strict Chest-to-Bar Pullups (unbroken) - 12 :(
Maximum KB Snatches (53#) in 5:00 - 80 reps

One of my goals this year is to compete in the Tactical Strength Challenge. The open class competition consists a 1 RM Deadlift (doing that tomorrow), Strict Pullups (chest or neck to bar), and Max Snatches in 5:00 with 1.5 pood KB. For the Snatches and Pullups I followed the rules found here. My disappointment in my pullups was off-set by my pleasant suprise at how well I did with KB Snatches (especially since I would hardly consider myself proficient with Kettlebells or the snatch movement).

Was really glad to PR in Press. For some reason my press/overhead-lifts (i.e. Bench Press, Strict Press, etc) have always lagged for me - and for some reason since I took the last 4 months off and haven't been hitting a ton of CF Metcons all my overhead stuff has gone up. Not sure if it's linked to easing off the CF-metcon stuff, age, or just combining my workouts a little smarter.

Ryan Secor 01-02-2010 09:30 PM

Saturday 01.02.10

Warm-up, Mobilty Work (played around with stuff Starrett talked about in his new video), Foam Rolling, extra knee/ankle work
-then-
1 RM Deadlift - 530# (PR)
-then-
"Fran"
21-15-9
Thrusters (95#)
Pullups

For time - 8:27

Wow - I've PR'd in ALL my powerlifts (with the exception of Back Squat which I only missed by 10#). To me this is really weird because I haven't worked out AT ALL since the end of July (when I had my surgery). Before that I was Crossfitting pretty regularly with some lifting.... but I didn't do anything until just recently and then just some lifting with light metcons with terrible times.

For all you who want to hate on my Fran time - go ahead. I don't care. Every time I do Fran I go balls to the wall and puke my guts out. If I had done that this time, I'd probably have gotten well under 5:00 even having not worked out at all since late July, but I honestly didn't care to push myself to that level tonight.

So today marks the end of my Benchmark Week. In all I think I'm not looking too shabby for having had 5ish months off and an additional 25 lbs of fat added on. Here's the results from my Benchmark Week:

Results of Benchmark Week
Powerlifting Total - 1230 (need to basically gain 270 to my total over 2010 to get to 1500)
Back Squat - 385# (barely missed PR)
Deadlift -530# (PR)
Bench Press - 315# (PR)

CF Total -1090 (PR)
Strict Press - 175# (PR)

Heavy Helen -12:37
Fran - 8:27
TSC - 530# DL/12 C2B Strict Dead-Hang Pullups/80 KB Snatches @ 230ish# = would've been 38th place at the most recent Tactical Strength Challenge (definitely have a ways to go)

Outlook
Glad to see my strength at the level it is. I hope to add to it. My cardio/metcon needs some work quite obviously (along with at least a 7% drop in BF %). I think my metcon will come back pretty quick and I'd like to drop the fat over the next 3-4 months (would really like to stay close to the bodyweight I'm at now). I'm going to be following 5/3/1 with the Boring but Big assistance work + a very light/quick MetCon. I generally work at least 10 hour days Sun-Wed, so I'm planning to workout Thurs-Sat then do extra short workouts Mon and Tues so I can focus on keeping stress levels down by not worrying about a workout plus get more sleep. I'm really focusing on my sleep habits right now. I've been having issues sleeping because my two dogs (American Bully pitbull and Great Dane) sleep in our room and they both keep climbing up in our bed which makes things pretty crowded. My goal is though to get around 10ish hours of sleep on my days off and at least 6 hours on my work days (preferably more like 9, but I can't control what I do/get in a day so I generally end up with copious amounts of overtime). I really need to start focusing on my eating. I've been doing low-carb/paleo type eating (except for drinking milk PWO), but I've only been eating 2-3 times a day which is no good --- basically I need to eat more and more frequently.