Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Powerlifting, Strongman & Grip Training (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Got some new COC's today (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5078)

Grissim Connery 01-24-2010 06:37 PM

Got some new COC's today

I got a COC #1, #1.5, and a #2. right out of opening the packages, i could close the #1 pretty well. i had to warm up and concentrate a bit to get the #1.5 closed. i can get the #2 to about 1cm. i'm pretty happy that i'm that far without much specific prep. maybe i can get the 2.5 soon. :D

Jay Ashman 01-24-2010 06:46 PM

keep at it! love my CoC grippers

Greg Davis 01-25-2010 04:25 AM

I'd like to get a pair of those at some point..

Any ideas for grip training in the gym?

I know of farmer walks, towel pullups, fat bars..

I miss the metolius rock board i nailed up at my parents basement years ago.. wish i had a spot for it in my apartment.

Allen Yeh 01-25-2010 04:34 AM

Plate pinching is fun if they have the right kind of plates.

Derek Simonds 01-25-2010 06:04 AM

Grissim that is really cool that you can close the grippers that far without specific training. I have up to the #1 and plan on picking up the 1.5 and 2 soon. I made a classic noob mistake when I first started training with the CoC's. I did too much work with them and my tendons were screwed up for months. You definitely have to build into using them regularly.

Derek Simonds 01-25-2010 06:06 AM

Greg you can do barbell crushes, plate curls, and many kinds of forearm work easily in a gym.

Brandon Oto 01-25-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grissim Connery (Post 69664)
I got a COC #1, #1.5, and a #2. right out of opening the packages, i could close the #1 pretty well. i had to warm up and concentrate a bit to get the #1.5 closed. i can get the #2 to about 1cm. i'm pretty happy that i'm that far without much specific prep. maybe i can get the 2.5 soon. :D

This is almost exactly how I was when they pulled out the grippers at my gym. I'm literally within probably a millimeter or less on the #2 and it's the most aggravating thing ever, but it just won't close all the way. There might be something wrong with my set but I really don't care enough to worry about it.

Fun though.

Grissim Connery 01-25-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 69684)
Grissim that is really cool that you can close the grippers that far without specific training. I have up to the #1 and plan on picking up the 1.5 and 2 soon. I made a classic noob mistake when I first started training with the CoC's. I did too much work with them and my tendons were screwed up for months. You definitely have to build into using them regularly.

yeah i'm actually pretty worried about this cause everytime i see them i just wanna give'm a good squeeze. is max grip training load generally like 3x/week?

my only real cue to stop grip training is when, because i've played drums for years, i know my hands feel out of it. it's deceiving since they don't really get sore like other muscles. maybe your forearms get sore, but to me the real indicator is just this dead, fatigue feeling between each finger.

Derek Simonds 01-26-2010 11:13 AM

I can tell you that when I trained 3 times a week in the beginning with grippers it was way too much. I never really felt like I was exhausted in my muscles just started to have pain in my fingers.

There are some great programs out there, one on the grip board that has 1 heavy day, 1 volume day and 1 day that is some other type of grip training. I started using the BB crush and BB flexion and extension as a building block working back into grippers.

Arden Cogar Jr. 01-26-2010 01:20 PM

For some unknown reason I got a 3 a few years ago. I keep it on my office drawer for giving a good squeeze when I get really peeeeved at some ***chebag over the phone. I give it hell, move it maybe an inch, then grab the 1 and close it and feel like a man. :rolleyes:

All the best,
Arden