Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Progressive Overload with Basics (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5082)

Troy Kerr 01-25-2010 09:31 AM

Progressive Overload with Basics

Whether its powerlifting, o-lifts, or running, most programs have a formula to progressively overload the muscles. I was wondering what the thoughts and opinions are on using basics progressions such as the planche, Front and back levers, handstands, l-sit , and manipulating their training volume times.

For example Coach Sommers suggest that one trains the basic movements for 60 seconds of total work. But would starting with 30 seconds one week, and adding 5-10 seconds every 2 weeks be a effective way of training the movements?

Just a thought, wanted to see what you guys thought.

Steven Low 01-25-2010 05:53 PM

Density works.

I've found, in general, a combination of density work and progressing to the next exercise as fast as possible a potent combination for strength.

Basically, practice the next level progression and get as much quality time in + density work for neurological greasing of a very close movement = faster progression than normal.

Very easy to burn out though... wouldn't suggest too many high intensity cycles.

Troy Kerr 01-25-2010 10:29 PM

How would you suggest cycling the load for movements? The only experience I have is with coach sommers 60 sec x4 per week. Are there other effective methods of cycling the movements?

Steven Low 01-26-2010 05:31 PM

What movements are you trying to work? What are your goals?

I need an idea of what you're doing.

Troy Kerr 01-27-2010 10:29 AM

Right now I am focusing on the basic progression for the planche, back & front lever, l-sit, and handstand. Before I tweaked my back earlier in december I was following M-T-TR-F schedule of 60 seconds of work for each movement followed with a FBE as outlined in the BTGB book. As the workouts progressed over the course of a month I felt as though my progress extremely slow. So I was wondering if there are other methods of effectivle alternating the movements.

For example, during my workout on monday I thought it would be a bit much to do 60 seconds of front lever prog. after being out of the gym for a month. So I did only 30.

So do you think it would be effective to perform each prog. doing only 30 seconds of total work as opposed to 60? Maybe adding an additional 5-10 seconds a week. So week one would be planche, the levers, l-sit 30 seconds of total work, then week two would be 35-40 seconds of work.

Also, at the occurence of my injury I had been following a baseline paleo/zone for a few weeks, I suspect that might of had an influence on the slow progress.

Hope this helps clear up my question.