Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Plug for a kettlebell vendor (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5164)

Gary Ohm 02-19-2010 09:29 PM

Plug for a kettlebell vendor

First, I have no affiliation whatsoever with this company. I just bought an #80 (yes an 80, not a 72 or an 88) kettlebell from www.thekettlebellking.com . I worked directly with Bert, the owner. These kettlebells are made by Troy barbells and are cast iron.
The bell is terrific. I own dragondoor blacks and reds (geez am I that much of a geek???) Anyway, the handle of the kettlebell king is a consistent 37 mm. If you worry about competition, the minimum is 35 mm. The 37 mm corresponds to 1.45 inches. It seems very consistent.
The handle is not painted smooth, but does not have the same powder coat as the dragon door blacks. I'm not sure what it is, but I don't see a problem with it.
Shipping was VERY fast, and Bert supplied a tracking number the same day I ordered.

If you don't like kettlebells, that's fine. If you are in the market for one, I would encourage you to at least check out Bert's supply at thekettlebellking.com. His prices per pound of KB are WAY cheaper than anyone else out there, and his shipping rates are too.
These are not Dragon Door by name, but I really don't see a difference.

I just wanted to let y'all know about a great product that is very reasonably priced.

Catherine Imes 02-23-2010 09:31 AM

Actually, most Competition handles are 35mm or less (Eastern Euro Rules state 35mm). 35mm is on the big side for a comp handle (I have some of all sizes and different batches). In Europe, most are less than 35mm.

If you worry about competition, you probably should get competition bells. Bell dimensions (Not just handle size), make a difference in the lifts.

CI

Gary Ohm 02-23-2010 07:11 PM

Interesting Catherine, I had no idea. I took the competition measurement information off of some web site that purported to know such things. I don't... I have no interest personally in competing, but I threw it in to the description in case someone was wondering about it.

Thanks for the clarification.:)

Catherine Imes 02-24-2010 09:36 AM

No problem. I know sites that have it listed that way, but there is 35mm rule and then reality and even amongst international comps and orgs, there is some deviation on the actual handles, but most aren't that big.

CI

Matt Wichlinski 03-21-2010 04:38 PM

i too have a few varieties in my shop, including Troy, RKC, Lifeline, and WKC bells from Valery. I don't think the subtle difference in quality or dimension warrants the extra amount of purchase between the Troy and RKC bells. But my bells from WKC are a different story, they feel like butter, I love em, but everybody has their own opinion. I agree that if you are interested in competition, go for the comp bells