Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Bionic Band (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5191)

Michael Miller 03-01-2010 12:03 PM

Bionic Band

Anybody ever heard of this or had any experience with it? I had a demo in the mall the other day using some muscle testing that was quite interesting.
http://www.bionicband.com/Web/ww/en/index.dhtml

Garrett Smith 03-01-2010 01:18 PM

I have one of this guy's (Pederson) early versions of this thing. I didn't feel much from it over time.

Also, he loves to do that "balance/strength test" (one of the videos, I bet it's what they were doing in the mall). I think it may be a parlor trick...why?

Because when I'm doing one-leg stuff on my own, I notice no change in my balance whether or not I'm wearing it. I also don't seem to lift any more weight or get more reps than usual.

The MLM nature of it (the inventor has been with many MLM companies) also makes it suspect IMO.

A single, low-cost study demonstrating real-world benefits should not be beyond this company to do. I doubt we will see it...just more of the muscle tests.

I'd love to think it works, but I don't think it does.

Brandon Oto 03-01-2010 07:02 PM

This is probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Edit: hahaha, never mind, this is definitely the dumbest.

Garrett Smith 03-01-2010 07:17 PM

You should get out more. There is plenty more to be seen.

Brandon Oto 03-01-2010 07:20 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOOK AT IT

http://www.bionicband.com/Web/ww/en/products.dhtml

Michael Miller 03-03-2010 04:25 PM

Well guess that saves me 60 bucks lol Actually came across a site yesterday that was entitled "Bionic Band Bullcrap"

Garrett Smith 03-03-2010 04:40 PM

I do want to know the trick they're using on that balance/push test. I swear I used every trick I knew to try to beat it, but I couldn't do it.

Brandon Oto 03-03-2010 07:06 PM

Lots of martial arts do fun things with structure and joints that can produce similar effects.

Or far more likely they just push harder the second time.

Denver Buchanan 03-04-2010 10:52 AM

This is the most pseudo-scientific load of BS. If you buy one of these things, then you deserve to lose your money. I'm reminded of the saying "A fool and his money are soon parted."

As far as the balance test goes, I have run into this several times before. Con-men and liars have been using this trick for decades to sell pseudo-science products. Let me guess, it's the one where you stand on one foot, then they push on your hand to see if you tip over? It's complete shenanigans. When you're standing on one foot, your center of balance is obviously very narrow. Even the slightest change in angle of pressure will tip you over. The trick is very simple. When you're wearing the band, they push directly down on your hand. There is almost no angle. Then when you're not wearing the band, they alter the angle just slightly. It's nearly imperceptible, maybe they'll push down at a 2 or 3 degree angle. But that makes a huge difference in terms of your balance and center of gravity, and... you fall over.

Sometimes they do another trick with stretching. They'll have you stretch to your toes without the band, then put the band on and stretch again. And bam! It's magic, you're able to stretch farther the second time. However... this happens anyway! You can always stretch slightly farther the second time. The band has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Haha, "Proton Alignment Resonance Technology"... you have got to be kidding me.

Michael Miller 03-05-2010 01:52 PM

"trick is very simple. When you're wearing the band, they push directly down on your hand. There is almost no angle. Then when you're not wearing the band, they alter the angle just slightly. It's nearly imperceptible, maybe they'll push down at a 2 or 3 degree angle. But that makes a huge difference in terms of your balance and center of gravity, and... you fall over."

Actually this wasnt the case at all, and muscle testing is a valid test as many people in the healthcare field use it.

The person performing the test was almost hanging from my arm the second time the band was applied and I didnt budge. I paid attention to where they placed their hand as well as how much pressure was exerted and it was identical each time. I then took the band off and placed it on my girlfriend and performed the test myself actually pulling down even harder on her arm when the band was applied...she never moved. We then had her put the band on my wrist and again for a 3rd time imitated the test getting the same results.

The more I talk to people the more I get mixed reviews so I would say it depends on the person performing the test as well as the individual having it performed on. I do know Dr G pretty much black boxes everything so I trust what he says.

Also, there was a lifetime money back garuntee...the lady told me even if I didnt like the way it looked or how many threads was in it I just bring it back and they give me my money back.