Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Equipment (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hypoallergenic WL Shoes? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5193)

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 03-02-2010 06:46 AM

Hypoallergenic WL Shoes?

This may seem a bit silly to people that have no experience with this, but I've had a pretty horrible problem in the last few years of being allergic to something that is in most shoes. I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact material, even with a barrage of allergy tests, but I believe it to be some sort of glue that is used in most shoe-making.

Anyways... I'm normally confined to wearing hemp-based shoes, or shoes that have little to no glue involved in the manufacturing. I just got a pair of Pendlay do-wins, and after a couple of uses, I'm pretty sure that I'm allergic to them and I'll have to send them back. Though... I hope to give them a few more days.

Does anyone know of any such "hypoallergenic" Weightlifting Shoes? Something with minimal use of glues. Maybe something labeled "organic"?

My google-fu has not yielded anything, and I figured that this crowd may have heard of such a product.

Garrett Smith 03-02-2010 09:25 AM

I can't help you on shoes...but your sensitivity would likely be reduced by some simple supplements to help your liver detoxify whatever this substance is more efficiently.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 03-02-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 71850)
I can't help you on shoes...but your sensitivity would likely be reduced by some simple supplements to help your liver detoxify whatever this substance is more efficiently.

Care to elaborate? I wasn't aware that supplementation could help with contact dermatitis allergies. Is there a specific set of supplements that help with all-things allergy related, or is it paramount to know the exact skin allergy?

Garrett Smith 03-02-2010 11:24 AM

When the liver and/or kidneys are not able to handle detoxification of specific compounds, their last resort is to push it out through the skin.

Improving liver function may help a lot with this, or simply reduce the severity of your reaction.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 03-02-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 71859)
When the liver and/or kidneys are not able to handle detoxification of specific compounds, their last resort is to push it out through the skin.

Improving liver function may help a lot with this, or simply reduce the severity of your reaction.

A quick search on Vitaminshoppe.com reveals that supplements with Milk Thistle claim to improve liver function. Is this along the lines of what you mean?

Garrett Smith 03-02-2010 11:53 AM

Milk thistle, as Siliphos (silybin bound to phosphatidylcholine, known as a "phytosome") is the best kind of milk thistle to use, IMO.

I use it in a combination supplement (with other liver-supporting herbs) by Thorne Research, called T.A.P.S.

Darryl Shaw 03-05-2010 06:30 AM

If you're sure it's something in the shoes you're reacting to and not some weird fungal growth on your feet you could try using Sealskinz socks as a breathable barrier between your feet and whatever it is in your shoes that you're allergic to.

Lawrence "Bo" Boland III 03-05-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw (Post 72108)
If you're sure it's something in the shoes you're reacting to and not some weird fungal growth on your feet you could try using Sealskinz socks as a breathable barrier between your feet and whatever it is in your shoes that you're allergic to.

Unless I've had a fungal growth for 6 years, that happens to not be a problem in organic/hemp shoes, then I think its a reaction.

Wow, they sell those socks at a place near me. Looks like $40 a pair. hmm...