Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Elbow Strengthening (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5325)

Júlíus G. Magnússon 04-08-2010 10:59 PM

Elbow Strengthening

I've been dealing with a fucked up elbow for a while now. I've been focusing on trying to get a deadhang muscle-up, and actually managed to get one on two separate occasions about six-seven months ago. Since then I've been having trouble.

Thing is, there's something about the transition that really bothers me. Even spotter assisted muscle-ups mess me up.

I'm just now at the almost-better stage (and I've been there a couple of times before deciding to do something stupid) and was thinking that what I've been doing so far doesn't seem to be working so it's time to change something.

Would it be a good idea to try to do some elbow specific work?

Any kind of pressure that's parallel to the forearm doesn't bother me. Pressure that's perpendicular to the forearm seems to fuck it up.

Would it be wise to maybe do some back lever progressions to try to get the elbow ready before starting to move back into the muscle-ups?

Any other ideas for ways to strengthen the joint?

Steven Low 04-09-2010 06:54 AM

I assume you're having trouble with the weight that is being put on the elbow in the compressed/flexed position when you go through the transition.

That's totally normal for a lot of people when first learning the move. It doesn't bother me now, but can easily be produced in almost anyone if you weight muscle ups enough.

Basically what you want to do is strengthen the heck out of your forearms, triceps, and biceps (aka all the muscles that connect in and around the elbow).

Rice bucket works well for forearms -- although you can do whatever you want for this.

Biceps are definitely hit well in supinated back lever as well as some planching variations (hands backwards, sideways, rings), pullup variations, etc.

Triceps are hit well through stuff you already know. Dips, manna, HSPUs, etc.

Basically, just get stronger in the arms and it tends to go away. You may need some specific isolation work or you can emphasize more compound movement strength in your routines.

Grissim Connery 04-09-2010 10:52 AM

just curious

i normally feel HSPU in my triceps, while i feel dips in my biceps. is what most people feel?

Júlíus G. Magnússon 04-09-2010 10:54 AM

Thanks, Steven. That makes sense.

I'm currently focusing on fat gripz stuff for my grip/forearm strength. I think I'm doing plenty of pressing work, but I could probably stand to add more pull-ups.

Júlíus G. Magnússon 04-09-2010 11:07 AM

Grissim, I've only ever done "CF HSPU" but those are triceps and shoulders for me and dips feel mainly like chest and triceps.

Steven Low 04-09-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grissim Connery (Post 74050)
just curious

i normally feel HSPU in my triceps, while i feel dips in my biceps. is what most people feel?

Nah, I feel both of those exercises in my triceps.

The only one where it's "both" is OAC... I can feel both my long head of triceps working, and my biceps working extensively.

Dips, IF you're leaned forward enough, can recruit a bunch of biceps in there. This is what happens if you do very leaned forward dips on pbars/rings.

Grissim Connery 04-10-2010 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 74059)
Nah, I feel both of those exercises in my triceps.

The only one where it's "both" is OAC... I can feel both my long head of triceps working, and my biceps working extensively.

Dips, IF you're leaned forward enough, can recruit a bunch of biceps in there. This is what happens if you do very leaned forward dips on pbars/rings.

i think that i used to not lean forward, but now because it takes stress off my shoulders, i lean forward. i should probably change this

Steven Low 04-10-2010 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grissim Connery (Post 74074)
i think that i used to not lean forward, but now because it takes stress off my shoulders, i lean forward. i should probably change this

Lean forward actually puts more overall stress on the body (cause you're moving towards planche pushup-ing with every degree). It's fine as long as you don't start arching a lot.

Donald Lee 04-10-2010 11:45 AM

I think leaning forward makes it harder on the triceps due to your center of mass going further from the fulcrum of your elbow, thus, increasing the lever arm. I'm kind of tired right now, so I could have just pulled that one of my ass.

I think leaning forward also allows you to recruit your upper chest muscles as well and recruits a little less anterior delts due to increased recruitment of upper chest and smaller angle of shoulder extension.

I know Borge Fagerli has written about a contraption he made to weight dips from your upper body as opposed to your hips to allow more forward lean and chest recruitment.

Steven Low 04-10-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald Lee (Post 74082)
I think leaning forward makes it harder on the triceps due to your center of mass going further from the fulcrum of your elbow, thus, increasing the lever arm. I'm kind of tired right now, so I could have just pulled that one of my ass.

I think leaning forward also allows you to recruit your upper chest muscles as well and recruits a little less anterior delts due to increased recruitment of upper chest and smaller angle of shoulder extension.

I know Borge Fagerli has written about a contraption he made to weight dips from your upper body as opposed to your hips to allow more forward lean and chest recruitment.

Leaning forward makes it harder on everything...