Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Plyometric handstand work (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5443)

Grissim Connery 05-19-2010 09:56 AM

Plyometric handstand work
 
i've been kinda bored recently with my handstand work. any links to some fun plyometric handstand/handbalancing progressions.

Steven Low 05-19-2010 10:33 AM

These may interest you:

http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/9
http://www.drillsandskills.com/article/10

And would likely be good for your beginner gymnastics development.

Also, chapter 6 of here:
http://www.fedec.eu/resources.1637.html

There is no getting around handstand work though...

There's also wall shoulder taps and other various misc stuff like that.

Blair Lowe 05-19-2010 12:55 PM

Walking HS, hopping HS. Hopping HSPU (GymnasticBodies has a video of these on youtube).

Steven Low 05-19-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blair Lowe (Post 76024)
Walking HS, hopping HS. Hopping HSPU (GymnasticBodies has a video of these on youtube).

I wouldn't try to learn these before your free handstand is solid...

Grissim Connery 05-19-2010 07:00 PM

i just went and did a handstand in the kitchen, and here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzXI_lFk_Xs

cut me some slack because i had to use a boot as a tripod. my shoulders are kinda closed and my back archs as a result, but i just came from bjj so my lats are kinda tight. anyways i figure if i warmed up for a while or used paralletes, i could hit 30 seconds (maybe more with the paralletes).

i also had a post about some front lever stuff a while ago. here's a vid of me doing the concentric ones i talked about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbTp4HWTn2o

and here's a miserable one of me doing a negative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuhbyFaNi8M

the second attempt in the negative FL i tried to do a full but it just immediately caved in. one hard part about doing the negatives in there is that my feet were just barely away from touching the celing when i straddled.

Grissim Connery 05-19-2010 07:11 PM

while i'm at it, here's 2 vids of me doing back levers. any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tcCoBft7Lk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DM_7fAkflE

these are 2 different videos

Steven Low 05-19-2010 10:41 PM

Need to get out of the bad habit of trying to correct your handstand with everything BUT your forearms. Shoulders/toes/core should not be moving at all.

If anything, stretch out the lats before you do your handstand work. I need to do this too because my shoulder angle sucks. I always stretch my shoulders (lats/chest/T-spine) before any manna or HS work.

-----------

Do your negatives in adv. tuck if you need to. It looks like you're on the verge of being able to do it straddled... but not quite there yet.

The concentrics are only "good" because you're using momentum. If you did strict there's no way you'd be in any way close to making it to front lever position. No offense or anything.

----------

BL -- good body shape. Obviously you wanna be a bit lower.

Hand position is not optimal. You want supinated (palms facing down) grip if you want to start working on crosses without blowing out your elbows.

Grissim Connery 05-20-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 76054)
Need to get out of the bad habit of trying to correct your handstand with everything BUT your forearms. Shoulders/toes/core should not be moving at all.

yeah i think i get scared when i feel too much pressure on my wrists. i tried training this one time by doing a handstand with stomach facing the wall, using my feet to gently push off, and then flexing my wrists hard to make my feet come back to the wall. i would do this for a few reps. are there other good ways to isolate this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 76054)
BL -- good body shape. Obviously you wanna be a bit lower.

Hand position is not optimal. You want supinated (palms facing down) grip if you want to start working on crosses without blowing out your elbows.

yeah i generally try to supinate when i do these on rings. i was kinda being lazy this time since it was a straight bar. if i warm up for a while, i can get the same positions with a supinated grip.

i just checked out that fedec stuff. that's pretty legit. maybe i can talk my girlfriend into working the hand to hand balancing. probably not though

Steven Low 05-20-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

yeah i think i get scared when i feel too much pressure on my wrists. i tried training this one time by doing a handstand with stomach facing the wall, using my feet to gently push off, and then flexing my wrists hard to make my feet come back to the wall. i would do this for a few reps. are there other good ways to isolate this?
Nope, that's the way to go.

Lots and lots of wall handstands with the body facing the wall.

Don't feel bad... I still have to work on mine too honestly.

Grissim Connery 05-20-2010 02:23 PM

for good measure, here's 2 back levers with supinated grips. i think if i had more time to warm up my elbows, i could get them a little more to parallel. i gotta go to bjj right now though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v86LBjJvVO4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB3wzL9Pj7w

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Low (Post 76072)
Don't feel bad... I still have to work on mine too honestly.

yeah but your videos are still cooler than mine


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.