Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Preparation for Sports (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5777)

Thomas Schneitter 10-07-2010 01:26 PM

Preparation for Sports

I am doing Simplefit at the moment. I want to prepare my body for the rigors of basketball,ultimate frisbee, volleyball and soccer. Therefore I want to begin running sprints, basic plyometrics and running up hills and stadium steps. At what level would you advise me to start doing these activities and for how long until I start engaging in these sports. I am 41 years old if that helps you in making a decision.

Grissim Connery 10-07-2010 01:59 PM

what's the specific reason that you cannot engage in them already? do you have a specific medical issue?

Thomas Schneitter 10-07-2010 02:15 PM

I fell that my flexibility in my hamstrings needs to be improved. And in order to be competitive I need time to improve my aerobic conditioning, anaerobic endurance, strength, power, agility and quickness.

Kevin Shaughnessy 10-07-2010 05:57 PM

When I added conditioning into my routine I just did it as fast as I could and tried to do better next time. It depends on how hard it is on your joints I guess. A good run through of Starting Strength will help build joint integrity.

Thomas Schneitter 10-07-2010 06:08 PM

Kevin thanks foor your advice. I believe I'll begin Starting Strength. However, I think I'll modify the program slightly by doing weighted dips instead of BP and FS instead of BS.

Steven Low 10-08-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Schneitter (Post 81443)
Kevin thanks foor your advice. I believe I'll begin Starting Strength. However, I think I'll modify the program slightly by doing weighted dips instead of BP and FS instead of BS.

Weighted dips is OK.

If you want to work more on posterior chain (hammy flexibility, glute/ham power) for the sports you want to play you should keep the back squats.

Kevin Shaughnessy 10-08-2010 03:10 PM

NeverMind

Dave Van Skike 10-08-2010 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy (Post 81476)
Thomas, do you know that a male your age should only be squatting twice a week on SS?

oh noes!!!

i better stop this smolov nonsense as i am in my advanced decrepitude at nearly 42.

Arien Malec 10-08-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Shaughnessy (Post 81476)
Thomas, do you know that a male your age should only be squatting twice a week on SS?

References?

Kevin Shaughnessy 10-08-2010 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arien Malec (Post 81485)
References?

Mark Rippetoe on his site and possibly in his book but I wouldn't know what page. Hes written an article entitled "Training For The Aged".