Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Paleo Diet (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Paleo foods that don't require a refrigerator (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5839)

Kyle Collins 11-01-2010 11:01 AM

Paleo foods that don't require a refrigerator

What are some paleo foods that don't require a refrigerator?

About to head to central america for awhile and most of the places I will be staying at don't have a fridge, so was looking for some paleo foods to supplement with that I can store in my room, to save money.

Coconut Milk is at the top of my shopping list. I love that stuff.

Jarod Barker 11-01-2010 07:55 PM

Nuts, seeds, fruits, pemmican (US Wellness has awesome pemmican), jerky, ostrim meat sticks (these are surprisingly good), coconut water (better than gatorade), avocados, SEMI-paleo: yams, sweet potatoes, squash. You could get some egg whites or egg protein powder even. Choices are admittedly somewhat limited, but you can get by pretty well on pemmican and brazil nuts. I do it for a weekend here and there.

sarena kopciel 11-02-2010 11:22 AM

weird I am sure I responded here yesterday!
canned fish--tuna, salmon, sardines, anchovies (preferably wild)
dried fruit (if you can handle it)
nuts, seeds, packs of chestnuts in foil bags
coconut shreds or slices (dried)
jerky (beef, fish)

Arien Malec 11-02-2010 12:46 PM

Central America has awesome meat and fish. Would be a shame if you couldn't find a way to purchase daily, keep in a cooler on ice, and grill. Also, of course, lots of great fruits and vegetables.

Kyle Collins 11-03-2010 06:59 PM

Thanks for the responses, gonna make myself a list out of this before I leave.

Really like the canned fish idea, wondering what I'm going to find in markets down there along those lines.

Jerky is too dam expensive!

Definitely will be eating plenty of fresh fish, but not real sure how thats gonna work yet.

sarena kopciel 11-04-2010 04:44 AM

Can you get some meat and sale and make your own jerky?

Jarod Barker 11-04-2010 08:57 AM

Trader Joe's canned chicken isn't bad either. I stocked up on TJ's canned salmon and chicken before a recent camping trip and I ate well the whole weekend. Didn't even give in to the s'mores all the scouts were cooking.

Kyle Collins 11-04-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarena kopciel (Post 82640)
Can you get some meat and sale and make your own jerky?

I'm borderline incompetent at cooking. If I wasn't leaving tomorrow I'd give this a shot though... Wish I made this thread sooner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chad Cilli (Post 82649)
Trader Joe's canned chicken isn't bad either. I stocked up on TJ's canned salmon and chicken before a recent camping trip and I ate well the whole weekend. Didn't even give in to the s'mores all the scouts were cooking.

Never tried can chicken, gonna try it too.