Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Re-testing (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6190)

Troy Kerr 05-03-2011 10:07 PM

Re-testing

Re-focusing my efforts to only handstand,l-sit, planche, and front lever are going a lot smoother. I now have a 15 second tuck planche after 6 weeks of training. I need to re-test front lever progress, however my negatives have been getting a lot smoother. At this point I am finding training splits difficult. Currently I have been doing HS,l-sit, Pl, FL statics and 1-2 concentric movements towards the end. I switched to trying Straight arm work aka statics on day1, then day 2 doing bent-arm strength movements such as HSPU and FL-pulls This allows me to get in some leg work aka squats or cleans on either day. Although I am making solid progress, I was wondering if there are some other, ways of splitting up training. Such as a pressing day or a pulling day? I notice I that I am feeling pretty beat up between training days, even though I have been taking deload weeks every 4 weeks.

Steven Low 05-04-2011 07:38 AM

What is your schedule per week?

Troy Kerr 05-04-2011 02:02 PM

Currently I have been using a MWF routine, that was statics + concentrics. I have been playing around with MT+TRF routine, but found that the concentric work had me pretty sore. Strength is growing though. last night I split jerked 255lbs, when previously I could get 185lbs

Steven Low 05-04-2011 03:21 PM

Push/pull, straight arm/bent arm, and upper/lower are the best type of splits for bodyweight.

I particularly like push pull because it can be split between lower body as well of which squatting is obviously pushing and deadlifting and such is pulling.

Straight arm/bent arm is fine too.

M/Tu/Th/F of push/pull might work a bit better for you if you can distribute leg stuff on like Tu and F or something

Troy Kerr 05-04-2011 03:38 PM

Yeah those look like they would work nice. How would you advise I go about training volume day to day? My primary push work is planche for statics. As far as Handstand training goes, I fell off of consistency a bit, and would like to start working back towards press-to handstand. L-sits I can hold for 10-15 seconds.
Seeing as how my training is split, what I am getting at is should I add more work to each day-to day workout?

Steven Low 05-04-2011 05:08 PM

2-3 upper push, 1lower
2-3 upper pull, 1 lower

HS and L can go everyday if you want.

Could combine lowers into one day if needed

Troy Kerr 05-05-2011 10:44 AM

Sounds good Steven. I appreciate the help man. How's your training going these days?

Steven Low 05-05-2011 11:36 AM

Trying to get back into the hang of things

Troy Kerr 05-08-2011 12:00 PM

I hear ya man. I am having some issues with my pulling work. As in too many options. My goal is overall front lever improvement. However I would love to advance towards higher level ring abilities as I progress. Right now i rotate static work with negatives. From there i am unsure the best route to program additional movementzs. I feel like it would only make since to use front lever pulls, which are very tough for me. From there I am not sure whether to use some sort of pull up variation, or start developing strict muscle up work. Right now Bulgarian pull ups are pretty easy. I have read multiple recommendations from Ido Portal about developing strict muscle ups before moving onto OAC progressions.
Basically I am confused on how to organize and rotate the volume and intensity of these movements right now for a stronger fl, and eventually more advanced strength.

Steven Low 05-08-2011 12:56 PM

You definitely want to develop 60 RTO support, muscle ups, some form of RTO dips, and some variation of planche work before moving onto OACs (besides 50% weighted pullups)