Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Training Logs (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Yael's Journal (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6554)

Yael Grauer 03-26-2012 06:53 PM

Yael's Journal

Okay, I just turned 33 yesterday. :eek: Starting a journal to keep track of my progress and diet. Right now just doing boatloads of BJJ and trying to do some S+C, more on the mobility/stabilization side, when not at the gym. Working on being a bit more Paleo compliant.

Breakfast: 1 orange, 2 eggs cooked with Kerrygold butter
Lunch: some kind of stew with chicken thighs and collard greens, and an orange
Dinner: Paleo chili with beef and ground pork
Snack: 6 dried apricots, oh and fish oil

BJJ: 1 hour of jits, just an easy fundamentals class

S+C: Roy Duquette's Full Body Stability standing active posture series. It's just things like shrugs, front raises, L-flys, db overhead presses and standing bicep curls, really low weight, with a focus on maintaining good posture, lengthening, contracting the lats, etc. and maintaining stability of the shoulders. Hoping to do this 3X/week for a week or two and then move on to the harder stuff.

Derek Simonds 03-27-2012 08:18 AM

Happy belated birthday!

Yael Grauer 03-27-2012 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Simonds (Post 95862)
Happy belated birthday!

Thanks!!

Yael Grauer 03-27-2012 09:48 PM

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 banana
Lunch: Paleo chili
Dinner: pulled pork served over baked plantain
Snacks: 1 larabar, 2 dried apricots, a handful of carrot sticks

BJJ: 1 hour of fundamentals, but pretty heavy on the throws today

I am *so* excited b/c I found out today we're going to have an intermediate class. This is awesome because the fundamentals class is super basic without rolling but the advanced class is super intense, so an in-between class rocks. Woot! Starting April 16.

No S+C today since jits was kinda hard, and also I have an AM class since I've got to miss the evening class because Jonah Lehrer is doing a speaking gig I have to be at.

Allen Yeh 03-28-2012 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yael Grauer (Post 95878)
Woot!

2010 called, they want their word back.

Happy belated birthday.

Yael Grauer 03-29-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allen Yeh (Post 95880)
2010 called, they want their word back.

Happy belated birthday.

Shush! And thanks. :)

Yael Grauer 03-29-2012 11:42 PM

Wed:
This is my cheat day
Breakfast: eggs and bacon
Lunch: gnocchi, which made me sick. i should stick to cheat day tamales
Dinner: pork and plantain leftovers
Snack: ice cream. nomnomnom.

Thurs:
Breakfast: 2 eggs, banana
Lunch: I didn't eat lunch b/c of my enormous dinner I had planned; I made my boyfriend a pre-birthday meal, which was...
Dinner: cauliflower salad, bacon-wrapped scallops, salmon, and Paleo chocolate cake (coconut flour and tons of eggs)
Snack: just a chai latte. probably had some sugar.

workout: Duquette again, doing just phase 1 this week and then on to 2 probably next week.

Anyway, I missed BJJ both these days... Wednesday was because I wanted to hear Jonah Lehrer speak and today was because I was cooking that elaborate meal which took many hours.

But after "graduating" from our Fundamentals class (which is "Phase 1") and learning we have an Intermediate class ("Phase 2") starting on the 16th, I just haven't been enthused.

I still pick up some stuff from fundamentals, but it's pretty elementary and doesn't have rolling and isn't as exciting as it was 4 months ago, but Advanced ("Phase 3") is super tough on the body and I don't think I could hack it 6X/week like I was doing before (4 days of fundamentals and 2 days of open mat). So I have been missing classes, which sucks, but I just am not as excited about anything other than Phase 2 (17 days and counting)

Derek Simonds 03-30-2012 04:03 AM

Completely understand about fundamentals. Because of my work schedule I am next to the academy when Fundamentals starts. I attend because I can't think of anything else to do. Most nights I will stay for advanced but sometimes I leave after fundamentals. Our fundamentals is a 16 week program and I have sen it so many times over the last 5 years. Hell I have taught half of the Curriculm but I still go because of timing.

I don't remember the quote but being great is about doing the basics better then anyone else. That gives me hope that all the times I have went to fundamentals isn't a waste.

Yael Grauer 03-30-2012 08:45 AM

I really love our fundamentals curriculum, and I definitely think it's important, but I've gotten to the point now where I have enough of a base in it that all the stuff I learned in other gyms that wasn't working is working, and it's mostly just refining... picking up a few things here and there instead of learning a whole new thing. We have a 24-class curriculum and I guess after going to fundamentals 4X/week for 16 weeks, I just am not ask excited about it. When Intermediate starts, some days they are back to back, and I will do both then. Some of our most technical guys/girls (purple and brown) regularly do fundamentals, but the no rolling thing I feel doesn't help me get prepped for tournaments, and I'd like to get back in competition shape.

I guess after my last stripe which allowed me to go to Advanced if I wanted, I just took a week off (which was last week) and was hoping to pick back up to normal again this week, but it's slow starting.

Yael Grauer 03-30-2012 10:39 PM

I did my month in review and I track my BJJ hours, it was 40 hours in January (seminars, etc.) and 27 in February and only 20 in March (22 if I go to open mat tomorrow). My goal is always 32, but I can't go lower than 16, which is my bare minimum. 20 is a bit lower than I want to do, but not bad.

I was going to go to this gardening thing tomorrow, but I may just go to open mat since I hardly trained this week... but I don't know what I'll do. It's so hard to finally be living in a city now and having options for things to do other than just training.

Then again, when I lived in the middle of nowhere, the gym there sucked, so I'll take it.

Breakfast: just had some leftover cauliflower salad
Lunch: Paleo chili, 1/4 slice of leftover Paleo birthday cake I baked for Todd
Dinner: pork meatballs

Snacks: So I missed BJJ b/c I went to this crossword tournament, and I had a beer because I got it for free for having a library card. Went to the bar with my teammates after we lost in the quarterfinals, and had some polenta fries (maybe 6 or so) and a couple handfuls of popcorn. 1 beer, a handful or 2 of popcorn and probably 6 or so polenta fries...

Yeah, I ate too much crap this week... and the weekend probably won't be great, either, since Todd's parents want to take us out for dinner Saturday to some Tex Mex place and I told him I'd take him out on Sunday, so it's our dinners out week.