Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Pause Back Squats (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6573)

Ben Glidewell 04-12-2012 09:59 AM

Pause Back Squats

I am just wondering how I should be approaching pause back squats in general and as specifically programmed in the General Cycle with 3RM and 2RM. Should I be more concerned with pushing for a PR or making sure I am getting a full 3 sec pause in the hole? As the weight creeps up my ego chimes in with finding a max and I find myself still pausing in the bottom and not using a rebound, but admittedly counting faster to add more weight...

Thanks!

Greg Everett 04-12-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Glidewell (Post 96095)
Should I be more concerned with pushing for a PR or making sure I am getting a full 3 sec pause in the hole?

if you don't have the same pause in the bottom as your previous PR, it's not a PR anyway. Make the pause happen.

Ben Glidewell 04-16-2012 10:06 AM

Thanks for the response Greg… PR deleted. I will admit that my first round on the General Cycle I was very strict with the 3 second pause and I saw the returns on max day. Would you mind to explain how/where/when/why you program pause back squats and presses if they are different?
Thanks!

Greg Everett 04-16-2012 12:02 PM

I like to use pause squats for 2 primary reasons:

1. They really improve postural strength - for people who tend to lose their posture coming out of a squat, including knees going valgus, back rounding, etc.

2. They help strengthen the very bottom range of motion, which greatly helps the pull from the floor in the sn and cln, and also gets bouncy lifters stronger (i.e. lifters who bounce really hard in their squats - often this precludes them from developing balanced strength in the full squat rom).

So i use them with certain lifters when we need to correct that stuff, or I may use them with people who haven't demonstrated a particular need for them if we're doing a squat strength emphasis cycle.

Ben Glidewell 04-18-2012 11:23 AM

Thanks!

Ben Glidewell 04-19-2012 08:05 AM

I am having a counting/timing discrepancy… At Catalyst how do you execute pause back squats? Spotter counts, lifter counts, use a stop watch or timer?

Greg Everett 04-19-2012 08:16 AM

Lifter counts and then I yell at them for not pausing long enough.

Really, it doesn't need to be precise - 2-3 seconds is enough time to come to a complete stop and definitely be standing from a dead stop. So if you say 3 seconds and get 2, you should be OK.

tomas grönroos 08-16-2012 04:17 AM

If you train alone and know that you are one of those who count faster when it gets heavy, time yourself when you count as fast as possible. So if you count to 10 in 2 seconds, then this time wont change that much when you get stressed while having a fun time in the bottom of your squat.