Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hook Grip/Hand Issues (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6590)

Cory Lacek 04-26-2012 11:10 AM

Hook Grip/Hand Issues
 
I've recently switched to this grip after getting into the Olympic lifts, but the calluses on my hands (just under the fingers, the middle one in particular) is giving me much pain. I think a blister is beginning to form under the middle one.

Is this normal when switching to the hook grip? I think I'm probably grabbing the bar wrong, maybe too much in my palms and this is forcing the bar to pinch the upper portion of my hand where the calluses are. My hands are small--i can barely manage two fingers around my thumb--but I don't think this is the problem, although it could be. I think the issue is with how I'm holding it, as well as grip strength, etc.

But I want to know what some of the more experienced people think of this--is it normal to develop blisters under the calluses when first switching? Or am I holding the bar wrong? It could be that I'm holding it too tight and trying to overcompensate for my small hands....idk.

Any help would be great. I hope I've been clear thus far--I can clarify more if anyone needs me too.

Thanks!

Greg Everett 04-26-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Lacek (Post 96301)
I think I'm probably grabbing the bar wrong, maybe too much in my palms and this is forcing the bar to pinch the upper portion of my hand where the calluses are.

This is probably the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Lacek (Post 96301)
My hands are small--i can barely manage two fingers around my thumb-

That's normal - two fingers is all you need

Cory Lacek 04-26-2012 03:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

On a side note, I just recently ordered your book and am still waiting for it in the mail (I actually bought it from Amazon before I found this website!). Does it go in depth about the hook grip?

Sorry for the rookie questions, thanks.

Allen Yeh 04-26-2012 04:15 PM

http://www.catalystathletics.com/blo...hp?blogID=1671

Greg Everett 04-27-2012 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cory Lacek (Post 96308)
On a side note, I just recently ordered your book and am still waiting for it in the mail (I actually bought it from Amazon before I found this website!). Does it go in depth about the hook grip? .

Yes. More detail than you could ever want.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.