Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cleans - Any other guys have this issue? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6685)

Drew Barquist 07-19-2012 11:24 PM

Cleans - Any other guys have this issue?

So this is kind of a strange question I know, but I've got to ask it because I know if I get this figured out it'll help my clean and jerk exponentially. So my issue is this:

I often jump the bar way too early on the clean. The bar hits off of my lower thigh, leading to me not getting the bar as high, the bar traveling away from me, and a resulting crappy catch.

I know the bar should leave my legs much higher, near the upper half of my thigh. My problem is, whenever I have tried to correct this by jumping later, often times I will rack myself in the junk, after which it is obviously difficult to lift the weight.

I have tried to fix this issue by altering my jump timing, wearing tight supportive gear, widening my grip to change where the bar hits me, but none of these things have helped.

So my question is this: Have any of you guys dealt with this problem, and if so, how in the world have you fixed it??? :confused:

Thank you for your time...

Chad Lammert 07-20-2012 02:50 PM

Can you post a video?

Blair Lowe 07-20-2012 10:42 PM

Are you being good at leaning over the bar during the 1st pull?

Where is your chest and shoulders after get the bar to your knee?

Sounds like you are too upright too soon.

Then again, maybe you're just too anxious.

Drew Barquist 07-22-2012 10:47 PM

Yes I'm in the right positions during/after the 1st pull, shoulders slightly in front of the bar, etc. It doesn't matter if from the hang, high-hang, or floor, the issue is still there.

FYI, I'm not new to olympic lifting. At 175, my Snatch and C&J are 229lbs and 286 respectively.

The only way I've been able to prevent me from wracking myself is by not contacting the bar, but then the 2nd pull isn't very strong and that kind of defeats the whole purpose of fixing the 2nd pull...

If anybody who's actually had this issue and has could respond, I'd really appreciate it. Until then I'll just keep tinkering...

Blair Lowe 07-23-2012 01:06 PM

Do you have odd body proportions like long-ish arms and a short torso?

Ever think about taking a wider grip on the clean. I guess the next thing would be too "row" the bar in but I've heard that really shouldn't be practiced and if happens naturally, it happens.

Mike Ng 07-23-2012 10:14 PM

I had this problem a earlier in my lifting days, I was experimenting with a wider grip at the time. These days it only happens once in a while but only if I arm pull, or more accurately if the bar drifts away from me and I try to pull it in with my arms. Have you tried bringing your grip in closer so the bar contacts below junk level? It's not written in stone that the bar has to contact exactly at the crease of the hips, especially with the clean.

Greg Everett 07-25-2012 12:37 PM

Video would be helpful. Take Mike's grip width suggestion - that will immediately make the bar contact you in a different location.

Also as someone mentioned, make sure (as in post a video here, or at least watch video of yourself) you really are staying over the bar long enough even if you feel like you are.

Drew Barquist 08-03-2012 09:08 PM

I tried Mike's suggestion of moving my grip in and it fixed the problem for the most part, thanks Mike!