Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Warmup prior to competition (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6700)

Ian MacDonald 08-01-2012 04:44 AM

Warmup prior to competition

Like the rest of you i've been following the Olympics rather closely and having never competed myself i was wondering about the warmup prior to the first Snatch. Having read the last couple of blog posts i assume there are as many different warmup routines as there are lifters but it would be interesting to hear what some people do.

What have you found to be the best way to get ready for that first lift and will you normally just hit your opener weight or would you go heavier?

Greg Everett 08-02-2012 09:36 AM

I'd say it's pretty unusual to lift your opener in the warm-up room, although it's done sometimes. I've done it with newer lifters who are not going to get tired from it and need the confidence boost, but with a more experienced lifter, the idea is to get them prepared as well as possible while tiring them out as little as possible - an opening weight is pretty tiring, especially if you have to do it twice.

Ian MacDonald 08-08-2012 01:33 AM

That makes a lot of sense, especially after a session i did in which i tried to do doubles at 85 - 90%.

How do people normally decide on their opener? I'd imagine it is based off a 1RM however this then leads to the question how do you determine your 1RM? is it the best lift you did once or would you want to have lifted that heavy single a few times before you count it?

Greg Everett 08-08-2012 09:52 AM

If you're competing, you should probably know your 1RM. However, you may not have done it recently, so you can't always rely on it. There are different ways to approach this, but I'd say it's pretty common for coaches to consider the opener a lift that you're totally confident you can make, however it relates to your 1RM. Nothing worse than missing your opener.

You can go into a meet intending to lift weights you've never lifted before, assuming your training is effective. But the openers should probably be weights you've done before and are pretty confident with. This may be in the 90-95% range, or it could be even higher if you're really consistent hitting heavy weights. It's different for each lifter.

When you have to hit certain numbers, say to qualify for another meet, opening like that may at times mean that your weight increases are larger than you want, so you may choose to open higher, but you'd better be squared away and hit those openers; there's no point in being close to the total you need with your openers if you can't lift it.

I've personally opened with the numbers I needed for a QT before because I hadn't been training particularly well and I just wanted 3 shots at the weight. Turned out I needed all 3 for the snatch, but got the CJ on the opener. The last meet I did, I opened with the QT numbers I needed as well, but it was because I knew I could get them done easily, get the QT out of the way, then go up according to how I felt.

So the long and short is that it depends on the circumstances.