Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   6 weeks to front lever? (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6706)

Daniel Dean 08-07-2012 01:29 PM

6 weeks to front lever?

I have a foot injury that is going to keep me almost totally off my feet for 6-8 weeks. I'm thinking about using this as an opportunity to get a front lever, is it doable in that time frame? I can currently hold an advanced tuck FL for about 10 seconds, single leg for about half a second.

I know all the various progressions from beastskills, but he doesn't really discuss volume. How much volume should I be shooting for per week?

Steven Low 08-11-2012 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Dean (Post 97433)
I have a foot injury that is going to keep me almost totally off my feet for 6-8 weeks. I'm thinking about using this as an opportunity to get a front lever, is it doable in that time frame? I can currently hold an advanced tuck FL for about 10 seconds, single leg for about half a second.

I know all the various progressions from beastskills, but he doesn't really discuss volume. How much volume should I be shooting for per week?

Definitely not a doable skill in 2 months even if you're at adv tuck. Back lever, possibly, but front lever tends to be a skill that takes at least 4-6 months or more from adv tuck if you're small gymnast size but longer again depending on anthropometry, height/weight, etc.

Check out some of the loading parameters per workout.. generally you can work on it like most other exercises at 3x a week

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2012/0...tric-exercises

Daniel Dean 08-13-2012 12:35 PM

Thanks Steven. I had a feeling that may have been an aggressive time frame. I'll see where I get in two months and maybe keep working on it if it's going well.

Do you recommend just working the static holds or adding some assistance exercises as well?

Blair Lowe 08-13-2012 11:01 PM

I don't know want to speak for Steven but we have been talking about using a combined isometric hold at the top coupled with a bent arm exercise through the exercise lately.

Actually we used to talk about this a lot 4 years ago, maybe even before that. It's something I worked a bit myself up to Adv Tuck PL/pushups in late 2008. Been thinking about using them.

Two birds with one stone. 1-2s holds at the top coupled with a pushup or pullup in PL or FL.

I'm looking forward to doing this again and not bothering to split up isometrics and isotonics (?) That used to take a lot of time and not something I'd be looking forward to on my schedule nowadays.

Steven Low 08-15-2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blair Lowe (Post 97484)
I don't know want to speak for Steven but we have been talking about using a combined isometric hold at the top coupled with a bent arm exercise through the exercise lately.

Actually we used to talk about this a lot 4 years ago, maybe even before that. It's something I worked a bit myself up to Adv Tuck PL/pushups in late 2008. Been thinking about using them.

Two birds with one stone. 1-2s holds at the top coupled with a pushup or pullup in PL or FL.

I'm looking forward to doing this again and not bothering to split up isometrics and isotonics (?) That used to take a lot of time and not something I'd be looking forward to on my schedule nowadays.

Yeah, I like this method.

You can pretty much skip from the inverted rowing variations straight up to front lever pullups and then keep progressing in that.

Daniel Dean 08-16-2012 03:12 PM

I'll give the mixed method a shot.

One other thought I had yesterday, are skills like this amenable to GTG-type efforts? Or is it better to just go for broke 3 days per week?

Steven Low 08-16-2012 06:54 PM

GTG can work for front lever, although not more intense exercises like planche.

I wouldn't recommend it though; just build it like a regular execise.

Daniel Dean 08-17-2012 08:41 AM

Very helpful as always Steven, thanks.