Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Calf importance in olympic weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6915)

Marcus Herou 01-23-2013 11:23 PM

Calf importance in olympic weightlifting

Hi.

I friend of mine argues that he lost peak power in the lifts due to that he tore his achilles whiile doing bounding box jumps (seen that one before?). His right calf is 2 years later about 70% of the left and will never assume 100% the doctors say.

Anyway I told him that calfs play a small role and that triple extension is a myth etc. (Ref Don McCauleys Catapult). When I started lifting a trainer told me that the Swedes did it all wrong by standing up in a shrugged position with triple extension. He implemented board snatches (toes out in front) so I would lift flatfooted.

Then I started to dig a little and now I wonder if I was all wrong. This seems to be an ongoing discussion.

So... My question really is. If triple extension is so important: How big influence does the calf strength/quickness play and if it has a role why the heck dont we see programs that strengthen the calf separately ?

IMO
If the high bar bs goes up so will the FS after a while.
If the FS goes up so will the Clean after a while after practice.

No where I see that the progression of a stronger calf translates into a bigger Clean.

Cheers

//Marcus

Thomas Brenden 01-24-2013 07:15 AM

Calf strength/tightness/injury I could see affecting the bottom position quite a bit. With such a high amount of forward/outward bend at the ankle, I can see that straining on the calf.

As far as triple extension, meh.
The way I look at it.. As soon as your heels pop off the ground from driving through them so hard, you should be moving under, and moving your feet out to receiving position. That should very much limit the amount of calf usage, if any at all..
Just my $.02.

Greg Everett 01-25-2013 08:59 AM

Anything that disrupts the natural movement of the body will be problematic. Whether or not you believe the ankles should be extended intentionally during the pulls of the lifts, they will extend to some degree as part of the effort, and any hitch in that movement will be a limiter.

I don't believe that most people will function best by forcing themselves to stay flat-footed in the extension - but I also don't believe they should be intentionally plantar-flexing. I believe that everyone is thinking way to damn much about it instead of just lifting.

colin dore 01-25-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Everett (Post 98860)
I believe that everyone is thinking way to damn much about it instead of just lifting.

Amen.

Keith Miller 01-26-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Everett (Post 98860)
... I believe that everyone is thinking way to damn much about it instead of just lifting.

This is sooooo true!!

Marcus Herou 01-28-2013 10:00 AM

Thanks and Amen.