Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fast-5 and Post Workout Protein (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722)

Nathan Stanley 03-25-2007 08:30 PM

Fast-5 and Post Workout Protein

Robb and any other informed persons:
I've recently read the Ebook the "Fast 5" and was wondering how a post workout protein shake, etc would affect the intended results of a fast of this sort. Sorry if I haven't given enough details for others. The book advocates fasting for a 19 hour period. I know Robb has said some positive things about plans of this nature and was looking for a little guidance.

Steve Shafley 03-25-2007 08:38 PM

This all falls under intermittant fasting.

IIRC, this is the PMenu party line on it: I could have some details wrong.

Concern: Maximal Fat loss
Train in fasted state. Remain in fasted state for a few hours after training.

Concern: Muscle retention/fat loss
Train in fasted state. Utilize an intelligent "paleo" post workout meal

Concern: Muscle retention&gain/slower fat loss
Break fast prior to training, ~1 hour, with small protein meal (some carbs ok, some fat ok). Post-workout insulin spike with protein and carbs.

Jonas Lind 03-26-2007 01:36 AM

Good summary Steve. I was wondering about spiking insulin in the "Concern: Muscle retention&gain/slower fat loss" category. Is it necessary?

Mike ODonnell 03-26-2007 06:46 AM

You could try adding L-Glut (like 30g) to the PWO drink without adding sugar.....this is a Poliquin trick...so must think he knows it works....

Allen Yeh 03-26-2007 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike ODonnell (Post 7289)
You could try adding L-Glut (like 30g) to the PWO drink without adding sugar.....this is a Poliquin trick...so must think he knows it works....

I recently ran across something saying that glutamine (like creatine) is instable in water. Anyone else read/heard or have any experience with that?

I have used glutamine before I've never tried what Poliquin recommends in terms of dosage. L-glut is also relatively inexpensive, I used to add 10 grams regularly to my shakes.

Greg Everett 03-26-2007 11:54 AM

steve nailed it.

Steve Shafley 03-26-2007 12:52 PM

If you are unusually sensitive to carbs...maybe. I don't think a majority of people should have a problem with an insulin spike post training. And, insulin spike should really read "glycogen recompensation" or something.

You can always glom down some paleo carbs, or some sweet potatoes, yams, or something.

Jonas Lind 03-26-2007 03:43 PM

Great stuff. Thanks

Robb Wolf 03-26-2007 04:22 PM

Yea...Steve nailed it. keep in mind too...this is all pretty speculative. Digging through the archives is helpful for other peoples experiences. Kurtis Bowler had excellent results doing the alternate days fast...even competed in strongman events. You will need to experiment and see how things progress. Just keep an eye on performance and body comp. Both should improve, especially the body comp.

Jonas Lind 03-27-2007 12:25 AM

Hey, I know we're dealing with pseudo-science here! Hehe.