Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fitness, Strength & CrossFit (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Help me debunk training myth (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787)

Jamila Bey 04-05-2007 08:33 PM

Help me debunk training myth

Okay all, as my life is now all football all the time, I now need to be able to discuss all matters in groups where I'm not the dullest tack in the package. (Get what I'm sayin' you Poindexters!?)

Anyhow, how do I explain this one: When you've say, run 10 sets of 50 yard full out sprints and you're feeling like death is near, bending over and panting will not cause any ill effects.

What's with this stand up and raise your arms crap?

Or am I wrong and bending over does compress your airway and serve to make it harder for you to complete the next round of running?

Mike ODonnell 04-05-2007 08:45 PM

I lay on my back and wait for the bright light......

I'm assuming the whole arms over head and lean back and look up helps to open up the diaphram area.....for deeper breaths......but also lying on your back helps to lower the HR faster....

Chris Forbis 04-05-2007 10:25 PM

I always felt it was more of a mental toughness thing, despite what the coaches say. You sure as hell don't want to see your players doing that (hands on knees or laying down) in the vision of your opponent during a game, so don't let 'em do it during practice either.

Jamila Bey 04-06-2007 12:31 AM

I got a lot to learn about this "team" spirit thing. I always took pride in my "Plays well with others" Needs Improvement marks.

So yeah I guess it would suck wind to see your Defender laying on the ground saying, "I'm fine, I'm just getting my heart rate back to normal for the next 45 seconds."

I'm seeing this in a new light.

(But the science just isn't there.)

Bill Ripley 04-06-2007 04:51 AM

"I got a lot to learn about this "team" spirit thing. "

Repeat after me........kill, kill, KILL!!!

Steven Low 04-08-2007 09:19 PM

There's always physiological principles ladies and gents. (basically what Mike said :P)

Raising the arms expands the rib cage and diaphragm area (straigher/arched spine and pectoral muscles stretched and pulling up) so that you can inhale a larger than ordinary amount of air which lends to quicker recovery. Conversely, bending over does the opposite (rounded/concave spine, tight lats/pecs) which hinders rib cage expansion and diaphragm area.

Although I must admit that whenever I'm out of breath I like to do the latter... we all do. But it is lends to slower recovery.

Peter Haas 04-09-2007 04:26 AM

I've always advocated standing up more for psychological reasons than anything else, although what Steven said is absolutely true.

I give people two choices: hands on hips or hands on your head. I don't let people put their hands on their knees b/c I think it encourages a defeated attitude. With hands on your knees you are stopped, chest down, taking huge deep breaths. I don't want people to stop in the middle of a workout, I want them to take only enough time to recover and keep going.

Something I've been trying to get people to do lately is to think of it as RECOVERY, not REST. Recover and move forward. Rest means that you are done.