Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Supplements (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Food Combining Supplements (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842)

Greg Davis 04-17-2007 03:27 AM

Food Combining Supplements

Often my first food of the day is a piece of fruit on its own (was recommended in the body ecology book and its been working for me).

And one of the only supplements I take is a multi/antioxidant.. which I've been taking after I eat the fruit. I'm wondering if this is a good/bad idea in terms of properly digesting the supplement since I've never heard anything about what types of food should go down with a supplement (ie. is it ideal to have protein/fat with vitamins?)

I'm looking around for some advice but I'm only finding the advice to take "with a meal".

Mike ODonnell 04-17-2007 05:19 AM

Well a multi will have both water soluble (Bcomplex, C) and fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K).....so I would think you would need to take it with a meal that has fat and water....personally not a fan of the multi.

Garrett Smith 04-17-2007 05:51 AM

Greg,
If you take food-based supplements like the ones I recommend (Innate Response, RightFoods, NewChapter, and NewMark), this becomes a non-issue.

Taking purified, isolated vitamins and minerals with food will enhance their poor absorption and utilization somewhat.

I take my supplements with my PWO shake. I don't have to, that's just when it works out in my day.

Tony Ferous 04-17-2007 09:58 PM

Garrett, what does your post workout shake look like these days?

Greg Davis 04-18-2007 03:04 AM

I still have a bunch of the HMP health packs that De Vany recommended a while back:
http://www.glutathionescience.com/gl...cience_014.htm

So I guess I'll start taking them with a meal rather than fruit to get those fat-soluble vitamins.. (that should have occurred to me!)

Garrett Smith 04-18-2007 07:49 AM

My current post-workout shake...

Everything fits into a 16 oz. Ball Jar:
2 raw eggs
2 Tbsp. fresh ground flax seed
1/8 tsp. each of ground caraway seed and fennel seed
2 Tbsp. dessicated Argentinian beef liver powder
1 tsp. dessicated Argentinian beef thymus (2/3) and adrenal (1/3) powder
On top of those ingredients, I fill the jar with TJ's frozen pineapple (to sweeten, add some CHO, and help with digesting all the protein)
Add water to fill the jar

Blend and take supplements with it.

I know that some will notice that this "violates" the food combining issue of high protein and fruit (sugar). This is the only time of the day I do this, I consider the PWO window a special time and between the particularly chosen ingredients, I don't notice any difficulties digesting it. I'd have to guess that raw eggs and powdered dessicated glandulars aren't exactly the hardest proteins to digest, especially when taken with the pineapple's bromelain.

Greg Davis 04-19-2007 03:21 AM

Garrett: Do you find the dessicated powders are a good value for the $? On the website they list the weights of what you would be buying but I can't tell how long that would last given using only a few tsps at a time..?

Garrett Smith 04-19-2007 05:54 AM

Greg,
I think the powders are a good value for the $$. That being said, if one wants to use them a meal-sized source of protein, I don't think they are economically feasible for that. That's why I use the eggs for the "cheap" protein and good fats, and the glandulars to boost/round out the whole shake and give it nutrients that are hard to come by other ways.

They all last quite a bit of time. I'd suggest (unless you know you like glandulars) you ask them about some samples, that will likely help you decide.

Chris Rice 08-01-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 9421)

2 raw eggs
On top of those ingredients, I fill the jar with TJ's frozen pineapple (to sweeten, add some CHO, and help with digesting all the protein)

I know that some will notice that this "violates" the food combining issue of high protein and fruit (sugar). This is the only time of the day I do this, I consider the PWO window a special time and between the particularly chosen ingredients, I don't notice any difficulties digesting it. I'd have to guess that raw eggs and powdered dessicated glandulars aren't exactly the hardest proteins to digest, especially when taken with the pineapple's bromelain.

Garret - where do you buy your dessicated liver and glandulars?

Matthieu Hertilus 10-05-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 9421)

2 raw eggs

Maybe this deserves a thread on its own, but I am curious as to whether or not it is safe to drink raw eggs, obviously it's been working for you Garrett, but I wonder how safe that is? Not questioning, mainly wondering as it was something I was thinking of trying but didn't want a "bad" experience from it