Catalyst Athletics Forums

Catalyst Athletics Forums (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/index.php)
-   Olympic Weightlifting (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Weight Dropping (http://www.catalystathletics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=876)

R. Alan Hester 04-21-2007 08:28 PM

question removed by me

Elliot Royce 04-22-2007 09:33 AM

Oh come on,....must have been interesting? Raises questions:

A new sport...weight dropping! (opposite of weight lifting)
Weight dropping on someone --- who?
A new song by Collective Soul ("Heavy")

R. Alan Hester 04-22-2007 10:13 AM

Well I will put the more succinct version back up: is it inherently dangerous lowering weights after a snatch or C & J. My current gym will not allow it, but as my weights increase, the eccentric force is staring to tweak muscles.

Rick Deckart 04-22-2007 10:58 AM

The question is perfectly valid IMO, yes one can lower the weight without dropping it, safely. Anyone doing the Oly-lifts or derivates for reps does so. Not sure how to explain best, consider a snatch, the weight overhead, when you lower it time a slight kneebend/re-straightening/kneebend to lower the distance the weight has to be moved, you first go into you knees and lower the weight from there with your arms further while straightening your legs which allows you to rebend the knees again when the weight reaches it lowest point, to break the otherwise hard catch. Easier to do than to explain. The main point is it is safe as long as there is no 'slack' in some of the joints otherwise it can be a painfull experierence...

Greg Everett 04-22-2007 12:00 PM

snatching or CJing truly heavy weights is very dependent on speed, so the amount you can lift will eventually exceed the amount you can lower because you cannot reverse the movement. with lighter weights, you should be able to lower under control.

Garrett Smith 04-22-2007 01:59 PM

Greg, is that an "Ass Kicking Potential" certification I see after your name?

Greg Everett 04-22-2007 02:01 PM

yes... and you can't imagine the exam you have to take for that one...

John Alston 04-22-2007 03:39 PM

I have started lowering the weight a lot more, even with weights up to 80% on jerks last week for doubles. I like doing this. I think ecentric work is ok, and it forces you to handle the weight with real control.
Plus, it somehow seems more artful. Dropping 40kg power snatches during warm ups just seems unnecessary.

Robb Wolf 04-22-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Smith (Post 9792)
Greg, is that an "Ass Kicking Potential" certification I see after your name?

I by contrast, have gone with no credentialing...sort of like when Prince just became a symbol.

Yael Grauer 04-23-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robb Wolf (Post 9801)
I by contrast, have gone with no credentialing...sort of like when Prince just became a symbol.

The Athlete Formerly Known As Robb