View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 06:33 AM   #15
Steve Shafley

I wrote this somewhere else.

Here's the context.

We were discussing this blog entry by Tim Ferriss on Lyle McDonald's Bodyrecomposition forum

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...le-in-4-weeks/

If you don't want to read the blog entry, basically it's Tim Ferriss talking about how he gained 34 pounds of muscle in 4 weeks with only 4 hours worth of training, by attempting to duplicate the (in)famous "Colorado Experiment" that Art Jones, of Nautilus, and Casey Viator performed. I don't think I have to point out here that gaining 1.2 pounds of lean body mass PER DAY is extremely unlikely unless there are both unusual conditions at the start, and assistance from jacking up assorted hormonal levels.

I am commenting about hardgainers and skinny folks in general.

Quote:
The funny thing is that a middle of the road volume program is, in general, much better for the genuine hardgainer than the low volume HIT workouts.

Taking things to failure, much less every damn set to failure, is a recipe for disaster for the genuine hardgainer.

Most of them need to follow an exercise prescription of moderate volume, moderate load, leave a rep or two in the tank, compound movements coupled with adequate nutrition, for a long time...months, maybe years, to get to a nice level of muscular size.

Why can I say this? Because, in the beginning, the Power and Bulk community was a haven for skinny, skinny-fat, and scared Hardgainer Roundtable refugees. The standard advice given above has helped practically EVERY one of them make gains that the so called Hardgainer and HIT routines couldn't.

HIT style programs are tailor made for those using drugs, really. Viator was jacked, and I really suspect Mister 4 Hours was jacked as well...after all, why train for 4 months naturally when you can get the same results if you train for 4 weeks using drugs, and all that?

You cannot base an entire lifetime of working out on one variable. Even the hardcore HIT guys, like Ken Leistner, do a lot of "fun" shit like flipping tires, pushing cars, log presses, and stuff like that, not just grinding out a quick circuit to failure on a list of exercises.
Steve Shafley is offline   Reply With Quote