View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #43
Robb Wolf

[quote=R. Alan Hester;11684][quote]

I think his article makes sense. From an anecdotal perspective, this holds true. My father and his army buddies, for example, used to bench, squat, row and do pull-ups and finish with wind sprints 3x a week. After 26 years of army life, all of them are still well-muscled and strong as an ox. Some of his coworkers who were endurance nuts, however, are all frail and feeling their age and service injuries. Another example is my father-in-law. He has lifted weights (compound movements) as well as done gpp as part of his job for the last 37 years and he is a strong 60 year old dude with 8 percent BF (think getting old is for sissies poster).

Good points. I wish I could add something, but I agree with the above. I am slowly bringing my wife into the health/longevity path, because she just retired from being an NBA dancer, so her perfomance needs have ended. Currently, she lifts weights twice a week hitting the major movement planes over the two workouts, does yoga twice a week, one day of sprints or sled drags, and one day of mix-modal stuff. All of the above is done over 4 random days with three days of rest.

I have some questions here:
1) On a low-carb, paleo diet how long should one rest between “power combo” movements? If they are governed by phosphate system and allow the maximal effort of 1 to 8 seconds, then how quickly should one resume?

One way this might be approached is: 3-4 left hooks, footwork for 3-10 seconds, 3-4 right hooks, foot work, 2-3 thai kicks right, footwork, 2-3 thai kicks left footwork, grab the bag and perform 4-6 skip knees foot work...

This is for almost pure power development. One will get a mild conditioning effect but each interval is short enough to only tax the ATP/CP pathway and then one shifts to another movement entirely thus allowing for quite a bit of recovery for each specific movement. Various plyometric drills and medicine ball drills lend themselves to this approach also.
2) Sprints of varying intensities: Because these are driven by the Lactate (glycolytic) system if kept below 180 seconds, then how often can these be performed for a paleo dieter who eschews fruit? What would be the proper work/rest interval for a Health/longevity bias person.
Tough to tell. Are you relying purely on hepatic glucose control-ie. gluconeogenesis? How much protein is being consumed? Any medium density veggies like squash and onions? One may only need one session like this per week to maintain "good" VO2 max. So perhaps one lactate intensive sprint session and occasionally one ATP/CP session? The power combos mentioned above might sub for this nicely.

something nice about switching modalities here is the hormonal response is not blunted if the body is not acclimated by frequent exposure.

3) Should one focus on intervals that improve power, speed, and explosiveness, which are influenced by very hard intervals (98-99% of Max HR) of short duration (30 to 60 seconds) with long recovery periods (1:5 ratio).

I just think a mix of intervals and modalities is the key. Occasionally something like tabatas, occasionally something like 400m runs with 4 min rest between efforts...everything in-between.

Finally, how should one evaluate progress on a health/longevity plan? Strength gains? Flexibility? Blood work? A performance bias seems obvious because you are training to perform a specific task, but someone attempting to live on a H/L path has no task to perform, other than being playful, happy, and healthy.

I think maintaining performance and body comp are two main indicators. Blood work that tracks insulin levels, inflammatory status and androgen levels makes sense.

From the purely longevity perspective we want a balance of these elements:
1-maintaining our current cell population. Improvements in hormone status can improve DNA repair enzymes and the removal of cellular detritus such as lipofuscion...this will keep our cells alive longer. We want to avoid burning our cells through too many divisions as we will reach the hayflack limit (about 50 cell divisions) and will have little or no telomeres on our DNA...cell death follows.
2-While we are trying to maintain healthy cell lines we also want to encourage the apoptosis of abnormal cells (cancer). Ketosis and intermittent fasting appear to be very powerful in this regard.
3-The cells that DO die need to be replaced. We have a pool of stem cells that can replace them but the stem cells can be depleted in a hyper-fed, hypr-insulinemic state. This is a proposed mechanism of many neurodegenerative diseases. Solution? Low insulin levels, ketosis and intermittent fasting to increase things like brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF).

Robb

Robb's Blog
Robb Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote