View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 12:14 PM   #7
Neal Winkler

Quote:
nor the almost insignificant impact of the anaerobic systems' impact upon maximal aerobic capacity or lactate threshold.
The anaeribic sysytem has little impact on maximal aerobic capacity and lactate threshold? I couldn't disagree more. Working in the anaerobic system, specifically the glycolic pathway, imporoves both VO2max and lactate threshold. That's what every study on HIIT shows.

Quote:
I believe that weights is likely to be far more beneficial to athletes whose limiter is not central VO2max
Assuming that VO2max is a performance limiter. I havn't done much research in this area but the power running site has a lot to say about this subject. If you havn't gone through this site, you'd be silly not to.

http://www.powerrunning.com

Quote:
It may be that weight training improves/increases muscle fibre recruitability and coordination of innervation, leading to a wider and more organised fibre 'team-effort'... In effect, intermediate fibres' innervation thresholds are reduced to near ST innervation charateristics. Which in turn, during aerobic actvities, results in them becoming more aerobic and endurance trained...
If I get what you're saying here, your assertion is that strength training decreases the amount of intensity that is required to activate higher threshold motor units, and thus cause the higher threshold motor units to perform aerobic work thus changing their fiber characteristics. But, that is the opposite of what happens. For example, if I get stronger, say, improve my squat from 100lbs. to 400lbs., doing a squat at 100lbs. when my max is 100lbs. will require immediate recruitment of my type IIB, whereas doing 100lbs when my max is 400lbs may only require my ST fibers unless I try and move the weight at maximal velocity.

So, on the contrary, increasing strength increases the level of intensity that is required for higher threshold motor units to get activated.

Furthermore, let's remember that what energy system we are using (and thus what motor units will be recruited) is first determined by the intensity, then the duration, of the activity. So, why would the body call upon the less fatigue resistant higher threshold motor units to do aerobic work if it didn't have to? The reason higher threshold motor units get called upon to do aerobic work is because the type 1's become fatigued. That's when repeated exposures to the aerobic stimulus begin to change their fiber characteristics.

You would have to be saying that strength training first causes you to become worse at aerobic activity (from calling upon less fatigue resistance type II fibers to do aerobic work) and only after subsequent training makes you better. But I think you'll find that strength training never makes someone worse at aerobic activity before it makes it better.
Neal Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote