View Single Post
Old 06-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #19
Daniel Myers

Saturday 6/16/2007

On vacation in Durango, CO. My wife ran the Steamworks Animas Valley half marathon, and I tagged along. The runners met at a local sports club, went by bus to the starting line, and then ran back to the club. I stayed and did my session while she ran. I had a lot of time, so this was a very leisurely paced workout -- took about two hours total.

Warm Up and Joint Mobility

Deadlift: 365x1 385x1 405x1
- 405 is a new PR, and my first deadlift over 400
- finished with some reps at 315 with a hook grip

Pull-ups: 45x8x2
- move up to 50 next week

Row 5000 meters

Side Bends: 110x2x8 x each side

Twisting Sit-Up: 3x10x each side + 10 x right side

I didn't plan for this to be a max effort deadlift day, but I pulled 365 and it felt good, so I decided to try some heavier singles. At the beginning of the year, I set a 400 pound deadlift as one of my major goals -- I've now achieved it. If anything, I might have been good for a little more.

After the max, I tried some easier reps at 315 with a hook grip. I'm a little concerned about the slight spinal displacement you get from a mixed grip. No serious problems, but the hook grip might be the better choice as I move into higher weights. Does anybody have tips on transitioning from the mixed grip to a hook?

All in all, an excellent session. Gives me confidence about how I've been training for the past few months, and sets me up for the new cycle I'm starting.
"The enlightened never cease forging themselves."
-- Morihei Ueshiba
Daniel Myers is offline   Reply With Quote