View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #3
Mars Cheung

Hi Allen,

I don't have too much experience with endurance development, but being someone who's interested in Brazilian Jiujitsu and Kickboxing, I suppose muscular and cardiovascular endurance are what I'm after. Explosive power would also be a goal, something that I try to incorporate into my workouts(jumping squats, handclap pushups, etc...). I just decided to pick up kettlebells because it'll give me the option of working out at home a little everyday.

That said, I have access to a fully equipped gym with free weights and machines (bench, dumbbells, treadmills, power racks, T-Bar rowing machines...)

When trying to bulk up in the past, I'd try to consume at least 3500 calories a day, breaking it up into seven meals. I stayed away from most fats, getting the essentials by consuming almonds and walnuts. Most carbohydrates were complex in terms of whole wheat bread, pasta, brown rice, fruit, etc. Protein came dominantly from eggs, chicken and protein shakes. I occasionally used Cytogainer towards the end of the day to try to make things a little easier as consuming that much food was uncomfortable. I got up to 161-163.

When I decided I didn't want to do that anymore, I decreased my caloric intake and dropped back down to 155/6. Still pretty much consume the same foods but in lesser quanities. I average about 2700-2800 calories a day? My weight has pretty much stabilized around this area so I want to try to optimize myself here rather than try to put on more muscular mass that's hard to keep.

I'm about 5'6''. I'm no expert at body composition, but if I had to guess, then probably 12% bodyfat, 88% the other stuff(for lack of a better term).

I've worked out hard since I was 16 but only really saw results when I learned how to do it right at the age of 21 in terms of diet and rest. I used to do a lot of cardio way back when, but cut it out when mass building. Nowadays, most of my cardio comes from my martial art workouts.
Mars Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote