View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
James Evans

That's quite interesting regarding the pacing involved in long cycle. I realise 8 RPM is a starting point but from those of us coming from a more balls to the wall approach that is pretty slow.

For example, in a tabata session last night I did push presses, swings, snatches and finally squats with a weighted vest. I switched arms for each snatch interval and was consistent with 9 snatches per arm per interval. When I've done this before I've average 9 left, 8 right, so about the same really.

So that's 9 snatches in 20 seconds, accepting a hand change every 5 reps, that's way faster, obviously than what we are talking about here.

But I'm not going to be continuing at that rate for 10 minutes. Just as I'm not going to sprint sub 12 seconds for 1500 metres. However, that's still 72 snatches in 4 mins. Note this is with the 16kg so it would be another matter with some serious weight.

Something I did last week was quite interesting:

Swing (two hand)
Snatch right
Snatch left
1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps

which became about 20 minutes of blasphemy. 100 swings, 200 hundred snatches and I really wasn't in a position to blast it. It really seemed to focus the mind though.

But is long cycle training worth it if you aren't competing? Just curious as to what you think.
James Evans is offline   Reply With Quote