View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
Daniel Myers

If you want to gain, I recommed you make it a priority and really attack it. Orient your training around gaining muscle.

First, pick an actual numerical target weight. This will give you an objective way to monitor your progress. If you're fighting competitively, this could be based on your target weight class. When you weigh yourself, do it first thing in the morning. This will keep the readings consistent.

Quote:
My average week consists of the following:

AM PM
M SS BJJ
T SS MMA
W REST REST
T SS "WOD / GIRLS"
F RINGS REST
S LIGHT SS REST
S REST REST
This just looks like too much volume to me. Most of the classic old-time bulking programs have you lift hard two or three days per week. Since you'll want to keep fighting, I'd recommend something more like this:

M: BJJ
T: MMA
W: LIFT
R: OFF
F: LIGHT or OFF
S: LIFT
S: OFF

If you can change the days you train martial arts, maybe try something like this. I kind of like this better:

M: LIFT
T: BJJ
W: LIGHT
R: MMA
F: LIFT

I don't think there's any reason to train two times per day. Also, you can drop the metcon while you're focusing on gaining. You'll get plenty from fighting. If you want to do ring stuff, work it into one of your lifting days.

For the two harder lifting days, you can use the Starting Strength template or any other good full-body routine. Squats and back work are mandatory. Make sure the light day is actually light.

Everyone will tell you that you need to eat. I don't disagree. Some people say that you HAVE TO EAT SO MUCH THAT MOTHERS HIDE THEIR CHILDREN FROM YOU. Eh, not really. Just get plenty of good calories from good foods. Don't be overly restrictive with your food choices.

You'll get a little bit of fat. It's part of the game, so don't worry about it. When you're done gaining, you'll tighten up your diet, add metcon back in, and be lean and mean in a few weeks.

If you can digest it, I recommend you drink a glass of milk with each meal, and one or two more during the day. Milk is liquid muscle.

Personal Story:

At the start of 2006, I was under 160 and about 20% bodyfat. I'm currently almost 185 and under 15%. Not Truly Huge, but I gained at about 25 pounds of muscle, just eating regular foods, drinking 2% milk, and killing the weights three times per week. For my frame, I'm at a good athletic size. I already had some experience lifting, including doing real leg and back work, so these were not just n00b gains. Now I look like I lift weights, even with my shirt on.

Long post. I hope that was helpful.