View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Default Bataan Memorial Death March

On a bit of a whim I've decided to run the Bataan Memorial Death March on March 30, 2008. This gives me just short of six months to prepare for it. The march is marathon distance over variable terrain and a whole lot of sand. I will compete in the heavy division, meaning you carry 35lbs in a ruck for the duration of the race.

I'm not a stranger to ruck marching, but ruck running is totally new to me. Usually I head out for shorter distances (around 8, never more than 10 miles) with a heavier weight. My current training (before I decided to do this):

Monday: ROTC PT followed by two compound lifts with a rep scheme of 10x3 each, then two supporting lifts
Tuesday: A run to the gym (~3miles) then a metcon workout and usually hitting the heavy bag afterwards
Wednesday: ROTC PT same as Monday, with different lifts
Thursday: Some sort of interval work
Friday: ROTC PT
Saturday: Rest
Sunday: Ruck ~2 hours with 50lbs

Ideally, I could train for and run most of the Bataan march without losing too much speed or strength and avoiding injury. How would you go about training for this? Would you just follow a typical marathon training plan, only adding a rucksack and boots to the mix? Or would you only begin training in earnest a few months before the event? I'll be running in boots with a ruck, so I am tentatively going to add one ruck run per week on Sunday, then add another session in a few weeks.
Gordon Richmond is offline   Reply With Quote