View Single Post
Old 10-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
JW Luckett

My daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease last year in August at the age of 18. She's on Pentasa and gets Remicade once every two months. Here in Japan they also have the patients sit down with a nutritionist, so diet also plays a very important role in managing the disease.

The approach here is to limit fat intake to 25-30 grams per day. That's not much. She is supposed to avoid fatty food, especially fatty meat like beef and pork. Fish is all good and she also takes an Omega-3 supplement. For some reason lamb seems to be OK, too (maybe cause it's grass-fed?). NG foods are things like all processed food, ramen noodles, cakes, ice cream, etc.

Her experience seems to support this approach. She was recently in Vietnam and had to just eat what was there, and that was mostly oily food. When she got back she was having a minor flare up. When she splurges and eats her favorite goodies, she gets abdominal pain and has to stop eating and just drink her nutritional supplement. I wish she would manage her diet better, but she's a 20-year-old college student away from home.

Anyway, you wrote that you go for zone ratios with higher fat, so I guess I'm saying you might want to experiment with that and really pay attention to the quality of the fat.

joe
JW Luckett is offline   Reply With Quote