View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
Greg Battaglia

I'm not in accelerated classes, as I focus more on my health than I do academics, admittedly. However, I do maintain a 3.8 GPA, WHILE also maintaining my health and fitness. It goes hand in hand. Hard work in one area of life leads to hard work in another. Honestly, I disagree with your contention that college is more important. The reason people want a "good" job is so that they can make lots of money, so that they can get lots of material things. I believe firmly in a life of simplicity, that is, to quote the author of the book titled Voluntary Simplicity "Outwardly simple, but inwardly rich." Once people achieve these high paying job they feel as though their dreams have come true, when in reality all these jobs do is create an enormous amount of stress, neglect of family and friends, and poor eating, sleeping, and exercise habits. The result is poor health, a dysfunctional family life, and a really miserable person overall. But hey, at least you get to watch football on your big screen TV that cost you 2 grand! Oh, and don't forget about bragging rights. You can tell all your friends how much better than them you are based on the size of your bank account. This will make up for all of the insecurities you have acquired due to an unusually (or is it usually, nowadays?) large waistline and little case of diabetes, heart disease, and maybe some insomnia to go along. This isn't a personal attack on you, but more of a vent for myself as I'm amazed at people's order of priorities these days. People believe that material objects can make them happy. This is not, and never will be true. Health, love, and passion are the keys to happiness. Not money.
There are dreams we’re taught are normal, whether it’s money or success or any of those things, but we shouldn’t believe in those things if they are not important to us. There is an ocean between our real lives and what is expected of us.” -Tim Lambesis
Greg Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote