Thread: Volume
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Default in my experience. . .

I seriously over trained (for my level of recovery tactics) for my last fight. I consider it one of the primary reasons I lost it.

For me it started with beginning heavy training 12 weeks before the fight. Our whole team peaked right around 6 weeks after starting (duh.) and then injuries, burn out, and lack of motivation started to take a toll. We tried to rally the last couple of weeks before the fight, but I don't think we succeeded.

Greg mentions records and tracking. That is pretty damn important. Also, establishing a baseline (that is different for every athlete). This will set the 'normal' schedule, and provide the 'spring board' for the rest of the training.

Everyone's balance is a little different, but your "day to day" training should include a little of everything, spending time focusing on your weaknesses. The key here is that you should be able to maintain your baseline indefinately. There might be mini surges to help overcome stagnation and plateaus, but the average should be either slighting increasing in training time/intensity (at the beginner/intermediate phases) or staying about the same (at elite/professional phases).

Endless articles have been written about ramping up for an event (articles written by people a lot smarter than me). From what know about the fight game, a good stategy is to try and get at least 8 weeks notice for a big event. The first 3-4 weeks should involve a lot of sparring and fighting at high intensity. There is a higher possibility of injuries when doing this (if not, you aren't going hard enough) so you don't want to do it within 4 weeks of the event. I also like to use fresh sparring mates to train my fighters as much as possible ("fresh" as in not tired. They are much less likely to injur the primary athlete than partners that are just as tired or more tired). The more 'fresh' partners with experience per session, the better. This is a luxury that many people don't get (unless you come from a fairly large group, and only a few people are training for the next event).

Depending on the baseline conditioning, S&C should take a back seat to just sparring. Right now it is the time for the coach(es) to take notice of strengths, weaknesses, and to develop strategies and tactics.

The next phase is to bring back some more S&C and lighten the sparring intensity. The primary 'workout' portion should be happening outside of the matches to minimize the risk of injury. This should also leave more time to devote to drills, and to fill in any gaps or develop new skills.

The last phase (usually the last two weeks) is the time to hone in on skills and drills, and really use the S&C to make sure that the athlete is ready on that front. Freestyle sparring should only be done in a very controlled environment (if at all). Depending on the athlete, some people take a few days off entirely before an event, some train right up to, it all depends.

Which brings me to my next point. . . if it is possible, it is a good idea to 'mock' events for athletes who don't have anything scheduled for a while. This is easy to do with 'teams' of fighters because the guys who aren't scheduled to fight can practice ramping up and training for a fight along side of their teammate. This experience can be huge, and teach the coach and the fighter a lot about how that particular athlete will respond to the training.