View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Arden Cogar Jr.

Arien,
thanks so much f or you kind words. I'm far from scary strong, just lots of years in iron game under my belt. But you hit the nail on the head, I'm trying to grow speed strength or lessen my "speed strength deficit."

To answer your question, I think you've already answered it. Go for it. Just be mindful of the need for your body to get alternating stimulus - and not going to failure session after session. To be very frank, rack pulls, with straps, and holding the phucker for static holds is one of the best "strength potential" builders I've ever encountered. Same goes for 1/4 squats out of high pins. But only do them every two to three weeks because your body wasn't meant to undergo that much stress that often.

The big thing I've learned over the years is don't train to failure. Always leave something in the tank. And also remember to take the planned "few steps back" in order to make some gradual steps forward.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

All the best,
Arden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
Great responses.

Arden -- Since you are scary strong, I'd figure your goal is to keep your strength base and grow speed-strength and the neurological pathways to allow your weightlifting to catch up to your base strength. I'm in a different boat: I'm well below my basic strength potential, and deads are a great way of building basic strength.

John -- I'm similar to you in being stronger in the pull than in the squat (I'm an intermediate in rip's strength chart for the dead, but only a novice in the back squat and press), but not particularly strong in any.

So maybe I want to separate the question:

For someone who is lacking a strength base, is there anything wrong with adding max effort deads (doubles, triples, single sets of 5) as part of an overall weightlifting program?

I'm liking the answer "go for it" :-)
Arden Cogar Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote