View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #23
Michael Miller

I have only briefly experienced Krav Maga for myself, but most the people i know who have more experience with it do not feel good about the way the civilain system is taught here in the United States. They also feel unconfortable in how it addresses firearms, and edged weapon awareness. Most feel certain defenses they perform would get you killed under real life conditions with a aggressive resisting attacker.

Also, a person that is aware, and has spent enough time with skilled opponents under live conditions is not going to be "rooting" around or digging for their weapon when they are confronted. If you do not know your weapons, cannot access and deploy them efficiently under stress, then you don't need to be carrying any, period.

In my experience there is no way your ever going to disarm a skilled aggressive attacker with a blade before getting wounded yourself...it just won't happen. This is some of the fluff Yael and i were talking about...teaching people things that will get them killed, teaching them about going for "disarms" and "defenses" puts them in a entirely different mindset than what they need to be when dealing with the type of violent encounters we are talking about. Im not saying it cant ever be done, im saying lets talk about high percentages for the average person.

I wanna see somebody go for a disarm on one of the Piper guys without getting bled out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP0AvjqdW3w

Something to think about from a fellow martial artist...

"When people say they are a master of "empty hand" versus knife I think they mean "empty hand[gun into felon's torso]". Whenever someone tells me they have no fear of a knife, I challenge them to do the "marker drill" with me. I take a water-based red marker, jam it into the end of an eight-inch piece of PVC, and tape the two together. I tell the "knife expert" to try and disarm me while I proceed to make him look like a Jackson Pollock painting. This usually tends to breed humility in most martial artists (I know it gave me a healthy dose the first time I did the drill)."
Michael Miller is offline   Reply With Quote