View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Default Conjugate method

Hello folks,

I've been reading a fair amount of EFS/Westside articles on the conjugate method. As most here probably know, they divide the types of training into max effort, dynamic effort, and repetition effort. Then they split the body into lower (squat/deadlift) and upper (bench) since they are powerlifters. So, there are four workouts per week:

ME SQ/DL, ME Bench, DE SQ/DL, and DE Bench. Each day also has RE work for supplementary muscles like triceps, lats, hamstrings, etc. These are often more "bodybuilding-like" in terms of exercises and reps.

My understanding is that Louie got most of his ideas from reading European (Soviet specifically?) training books and stuff. I think most of this was used for olympic lifters if I'm not mistaken.

If that is true, how exactly did they incorporate this stuff into a program for weightlifting? Namely, how were the days split up, what exercises were considered for ME, DE, and RE, etc? Since the olympic lifts in and of themselves are "dynamic", I'm not sure if they would be used for ME or DE work. In Louie's stuff, dynamic work is often a percentage of ME work (50%-70%) in order to maximize bar speed (and thus muscle recruitment I think) whereas ME work is inherently slower since it is a grind. So, I'm just curious how it was done.

Thanks...

howard
Howard Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote