Thread: Osteoporosis
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Gittit Shwartz

Default Osteoporosis

Background:
My 75-year-old grandmother is pretty fantastic. I always say she has a young mind because not only does she show no signs of age deteriorating her outlook, her energy or sharpness, she is also very open-minded and always ready to learn something new. She teaches Feldenkrais so she has good body awareness.
I've been living with her since March and watching her daily habits with interest. She eats fruits and vegetables, some meat but more fish, rarely any sugar except some dark chocolate. She took readily to the idea that animal fat is not necessarily the culprit for high cholesterol, started eating more eggs and hard cheese and cut out grains almost entirely, and lost 2 kg.
Since her menopause she's dealing with two heath problems. The first is melanomas - every few months she has to go have some removed and she is not allowed to get ANY sun on bare skin. The second is osteoporosis for which she takes a once-a-week prescription pill. Also the instructors at the gym we both go to gave her a silly program on the machines to help with that.

Question 1: could the osteoperosis be related to the fact that she gets little or no Vitamin D from sunlight? I'm thinking supplementing with Vitamin D or maybe CLO could give some her benefit, but I'm no expert.

Question 2: what kind of exercise/training program would you people suggest to help improve bone density? As I said she is pretty open minded but she does not like to "strain" very hard and prefers to take very gradual steps (Feldenkrais philosophy). Probably a good idea also because her bones are weak. Here is what I got her to do:

- Overhead squats (with a broomstick for now) - she loves those! Actually picks up a stick and does a few reps several times every day.

- Circuit, 2-3 times:
Pull-ups (gravitron assisted), 8-10 reps
Push ups (off her knees, not full range yet) 8-10 reps
Lunges (bodyweight), 8-10 reps

She does this 1-3 times per week.

Thoughts? Suggestions?