View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Derek Simonds
Default Great Points Josh!

I agree with you Josh. I am actually working on the whole being more relaxed and using my strength explosively. In traditional gi grappling I do a better job of relaxing.

In no gi I think that I am making up for my lack of experience / technique by using my strength. There were several times last night where I had managed to work my way into a dominant position but was unable to apply the correct technique to finish the match.

I definitely need to work the game better so that I am more relaxed and have less energy use. I am much more comfortable when I am pushing the action or being aggressive rather than waiting for my opponent to bring it to me.

I am confident that just being on the mat will help develop the sport specific strength, relaxation and confidence I need. Part of the reason I am asking is because I travel a lot with my job and one thing I can do every day is get in some sort of physical exercise. It is much more difficult to find a place to practice BJJ that doesn't charge $25 or $50 visitors mat fee for one night or is an hour drive from where I am working.

Thanks again for the advice you are right on the money.
What we think, or what we know, or what we believe, is in the end, of little consequence. The only thing of consequence is what we do. -John Ruskin
Derek Simonds is offline   Reply With Quote