View Single Post
Old 01-13-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Motion MacIvor

Hi jay,
I've been doing a mix of weights and endurance work (more endurance than weights) for the last 9 years. I was looking at your schedule and it looks pretty tough to me I guess you know your own body better than I do but I know that I would run out of gas after about 3 weeks of trying to keep up with that monkey business. I notice that your training your legs almost every day (not neccesarily a bad thing) but you only do dips once and chinups once a week? That's a fairly sport specific program (also not a bad thing).

If I were you I would try to reduce the number of intense workouts to about three per week. I dont know how intense your strength workouts are but I would consider breaking them into one day 5X5 (squat, shoulder, press DL, big stuff like that) black box style with a minimal cardio component, and one day with a Fran, Diane, Grace, or Elizabeth style workout where you have a large strength component and a huge cardio componet in a short amount of time.

After that I would say only one longer Met con Cindy, or Chelsea type work out *or* a sprint/interval work out. After that I would add in LSD running or hiking or swiming or whatever floats your boat.

I would also suggest that the 5x5 day should come after a bit of a rest and not right after a metcon day so you can give it a solid effort.

The other thing you should think about is how you want your workout to look on a monthly and seasonal scale. for monthly example you could do hard week, harder week, hardest week, easy week. As for seasonal it's best if you take a lood at stuff written by Joe Friel or Tudor Bompa. Hope that helps

Oh yeah try to break up the LSD workouts into either recovery workouts or easy conditioning workouts. If you feel beat down do a recovery workout if you feel great do a conditioning workout. If you really want to get scientific about it go to http://fact-canada.com/
take a look at their forum, and pick up a blood lactate monitor. Those guys are bleeding edge in the world of endurance sports.

Last edited by Motion MacIvor : 01-13-2007 at 12:13 PM. Reason: incomplete post
Motion MacIvor is offline   Reply With Quote