View Single Post
Old 06-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Greg Everett
Administrator

First, Oly lifters in general don't give a shit about hypertrophy unless they're moving up a weight class. And to even suggest anyone would use an OHS for hypertrphy is just a misunderstanding of the exercise.

It has utility in developing a strong receiving position for the snatch in concert with the snatch balance. There's a legitimate advantage in having a max OHS that exceeds your max snatch - first, the actual structural strength, and second, the confidence. Does every O-lifter need it at all times? Of course not, and those whose strength base considerably exceeds their classic lifts have no need for it for extended periods of time. But to say it's useful is kind of silly.

I like Poliquin, but a lot of times he leans toward hyperbole instead of sticking with more rationale statements. It's good marketing. Controversy sells. And yes, he may have trained a number of Olympic athletes, but to my knowledge, he's coached no high level weightlifters, so I'm not sure how qualified he is to comment on their training (everyone believes himself an expert on the subject when in reality, people seem to have little idea what world class lifters are doing outside their teams).

I'm more inclined to use the snatch balance than the OHS with a more advanced athlete, but the OHS has its place. Just not 15 reps of it.

"Without a doubt the best book on the market about Olympic-style weightlifting." - Mike Burgener, USAW Senior International Coach

American Weightlifting: The Documentary
Catalyst Athletics
Performance Menu Journal
Greg Everett is offline   Reply With Quote