Thread: MEBB Rep Scheme
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I'd go with the latter. But I'd also switch the 5x5 to 3x5. Especially if you're doing deadlifts.

Well, that's my take. Feel free experimenting and see what works better FOR YOU.

I dunno what MEBB really means and none of this pertains to oly lifts, which I have little experience with...But as far as ME work in sets of 5 goes, I routinely do the three warm up sets then a 3 work set type thing. Ferinstance, last night was DL

135x8 (doesn't count towards workload)
225x5
315x5
415x5
425x5
435x5

like so...

then we did extended dead lifts (off a 4" box) in the same pattern but without
the warm up.

275x5
315x5
365x5

then we did Zercher pause squats in the same pattern....

185x5 (useless actually)
225x5
315x5
355x3 (was smoked and only got 3, so poor weight choice on my part)

You get the idea...three increasing money sets is pretty good for 5's. Now,
With triples and singles you may need more than three money sets but fivers are taxing.

With triples I actually like the same pattern, 2-3 warm up sets and then 3 sets increasing the weight or even sets across.

OTOH, singles are weird. I dunno how the "MEBB" works but we really only do singles to test every three to four weeks. BUT..even if you're a relative novice and want to check in on your max, you can work singles with a lot of sets. It's totally legit to do something like this that gives a decent amount of volume at or near max %'s.

5x60%
3x75%
2x80%
1X85%
1x95%
1x100%
1x90%
1x105%
hopefully new max....

But as above..try and see, everyone's different. My approach doesn't work for Cfters, but it does for me. The basic pattern is the same.