View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Dave Van Skike

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
i believe a line has been crossed. those gentlemen's heads have been detached..i find this very threatening.

Scott, I think John is either telling you that you can expect 2.75-3.27 pounds of quality lean mass per month....or.... something along the lines of "suck it up buttercup"

Mark Rippatoe has an approach that is totally logical that I've used. If your focus is strength, do only the strength workouts laid out in whatever 3-4-5 day split you're on for a little while (I'd guess like three weeks) then add one short conditioning workout (<10min..no long ones) per week, track how that impacts recovery and progress..you should find a sweet spot where you can do a little cross fit or whatever, without slowing progress...the key is you Have To Track Progress...be fascist about it. also go read the hybrid programming thread for an example of someone really dialing this in for themselves. Plus Gant trains at Mark's gym I think.

good luck. oh yeah, what derek said, i've certainly found that it was easier to work on strength initially, once you have legit sticking points, you can eat your way through them.