View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Chris Salvato

Thanks for the responses Greg. Replies below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Everett View Post
Rip wants to set up with scap spines over bar, whereas i want to break from the floor as upright as possible. With my setup (and I shouldn't call it mine, it's used by essentially every high-level competitive weightlifter out there), the back angle will shift slightly by the time the bar lifts about 2-3 inches, but it will still remain considerably more upright. I approach the DL more as an assistance exercise for the snatch and clean, and accordingly, I want it to use the same positions, whereas Rip uses it more as simply a tool to get generally strong. As far as why on the cln/sn start position, see my response to jacob.
That makes a lot of sense. While I am getting my strength and DL numbers up, I am going to be using this to get my absolute strength up. I will probably stick to Rip's method until I advance onto taking my fast lifts more seriously - after I top out on my linear progression, that is.

Then I may consider switching over to the fast lift method (at least thats what I'll call it).

Quote:
Same goes for the back squat - he uses the low-bar even for Oly lifters. For most athletes, I agree that low-bar is good, at least some of the time, but for Oly, I use high bar. Complete article about why in the store somewhere, and you can read his argument in the CFJ from the same month.
That's I'll look for that. Steve Low actually said that my squat form looks like it's not low bar, though i am pretty sure it is as I feel like the bar is resting just above mid scap, right around the scap spine.

I feel like I may be leaning forward too much so its something I am always consciously trying to correct.

Quote:
Judging from the limited view of the gym in that video, I'd suggest ignoring any advice you get there regarding weightlifting.
haha. Actually no one in my globo speaks to me. I think they are scared because I make a lot of noise in the gym (i edit out my stomping that i do to get psyched up) :P

Every time i post a video of my cleans on youtube, this guy sends me messages about how my cleans suck. This is pretty funny since you said my second pull is good.....

He is just a grifeer but here is what he sent me last time:

Quote:
Your form just keeps getting worse and worse by the video. I am pressed to say that I feel you are not even pulling the weight with your arms anymore, you're bringing your knees through and using your legs to push up against the barbell; once again attempting to consciously apply the double knee bend and slowing your lift down considerably. Now I know that I may have been playfully fucking with you a few days ago but I am serious when I say that this has gone beyond retarded. You are in the most important learning stage of these lifts; the beginning, and you are learning them entirely incorrectly and will only find it that much more difficult to learn them correctly should you ever decide to try in the next year or five. Perhaps you should stop doing cleans for reps, since it's obviously what is taking a toll on your ability to pull the bar correctly and get under it safely. You should maybe start out doing 4-5 reps with the lighter weights and keeping it under triples or doubles once you progress to anything over 135ibs. I assure you that you will have absolutely no athletic gains by doing this movement that you call a "power clean", and certainly not in the manner in which you have decided to employ it. You may want to consider removing them from your routine and supplementing them with barbell squat jumps or something a little more sport-specific, as that would not be nearly as demanding as the power clean in terms of technique. I do not understand what business you have doing power cleans.
Your post has really made me much more confident in my form.
Chris Salvato is offline   Reply With Quote