View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 07:20 AM   #28
michael cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arien Malec View Post
I would love to see the Practical Programming for weightlifting :-) Actually, I want the PP for weightlifting for 38 year old beginner-intermediates with a poor strength base, but I'd take the former.
I would concur with Arien -- though I also concur with Arien that it's an excellent and informative book, and I'm thrilled to add it to my collection.

My biggest frustration with Practical Programming has been my inability to adapt its principles to weightlifting. PP worked great for me, and has helped bring my squat back up to a semi-decent level, but for me that's ultimately just a means to an end. PP's focus is more squarely placed on general strength training -- not O-lifting. That said, PP is based on fundamental principles that should still apply in any context, if properly implemented.

Ironically, I think you've lit upon a (if not the) solution in the CA WOD, which I began following a few weeks ago on a modified 3x/week format. Of course, the influences of the CA WOD are readily apparent in the programming section of your book, but some discussion of the methodology and underlying principles upon which the CA WOD format is based would be extremely helpful. Especially for those trying to adapt the concepts to alternative formats (e.g., 3 workouts per week, or 4, or 8 or whatever).

All in all, though, it's a terrific book, and an excellent addition to the fount of knowledge out there for weightlifters.

mpc
michael cooley is offline   Reply With Quote