View Single Post
Old 09-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #5
michael cooley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
See, this is the problem in the first place.

1. You asked about how to integrate assistance exercises with a program.
I am not suggesting you "use" Westside as a template to do Oly lifting. I am suggesting you use *learn* from Westside principles and apply them over to Oly. Take you what you need and discard the rest. Similarly, use PP how you need it to work Oly and discard the useless information that won't help you.

Not trying to be condescending or anything but if you can't see the application of ideas across different domains, you need to step back a bit and study different strength programs to learn from them. I think it's great you wanna specifically focus on Oly programming only
so that's why I'm suggesting you learn the concepts here.. and not just from the modified Bulgarian cycle that is PMenu/CA WODs.
But it's your choice.. can't do the thinking or analyzing for you. Just don't expect to be spoon fed on why the PMenu/CA workouts work the way they do.
Oh, for crying out loud...

I am trying to "learn the concepts here." You just keep misconstruing my original question and misjudging your audience.

I never asked about how to integrate assistance exercises with a program. I asked about the application of Practical Programming in the specific context of weightlifting. It's hardly a topic that has been exhaustively addressed anywhere, so it strikes me as a valid and productive topic of conversation. Here. On a discussion board. Devoted to weightlifting.

I certainly never asked to be spoon fed workouts (note the well-placed "teach a man to fish" metaphor, supra). Frankly, the very fact that no given "program" fits every lifter (as you correctly note) is precisely why such spoon-feeding is a waste of time. I've found the CA WOD to be a terrific resource, but -- if you're a 37 year old experienced weightlifter who can't train more than 3x a week, but is still actively competing -- it's going to require some tweaking. That's all I've been trying to accomplish here: start with a premise, then discuss. I'm just looking to further (and participate in) that discussion. Again, it's hardly a topic that has been exhaustively addressed anywhere, so it strikes me as a valid and productive topic of conversation. Here. On a discussion board. Devoted to weightlifting. Call me crazy.

I'm thrilled that you think it's great that I want to "specifically focus on Oly programming only." I've been focusing on it for the last 9 years, since I started training under Artie Dreschler in New York, and I have enough programs and templates to gag a mule. Practical Programming has started a new conversation about strength training, and I'm just trying to explore that conversation further in the specific context of olympic weightlifting.

I'm still looking forward to furthering and participating in that discussion, but it doesn't look like it's going to get off the ground tonight. I'm going to give it a rest for a bit. I'll try again later.

mpc
michael cooley is offline   Reply With Quote